Favourite solo of all time...

What's Hot

Comments

• I like a solo that fits the song perfectly.
    For me the one(s) That spring to mind are 

Brad Paisley - Little Moments (today’s favourite) & Keith Urban - Somebody Like You

https://youtu.be/vBErCVNP6rM

https://youtu.be/eiBinM-f-Pk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited August 2019
    3:57 

It's actually impossible to pick just one though but that one stands out to me. It's just the perfect balance of melody and technicality and pleases my ear. 

I really love Dimebags lead style as well, the solo in I'm Broken is one I've always wanted to learn.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    There's a few mentioned would be up there for me, dire straits, tunnel of love, made of stone, comfortably obviously.

Another Girl Another Planet sprang to mind when I first thought about it and I am the Resurrection.  I think my actual favourite although fairly simple is scar tissue, you can actually here frusciante's soul I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Picking one is a problem. These are my top three that immediately spring to mind.

Kid Charlemagne - Larry Carlton

Big Trouble - Steve Vai

Get The Funk Out - Nuno Bettencourt

It's not a competition.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    2nd Favourite is Ride on AC/DC  :)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7022
    Since I’ve Been Loving You.  An utter masterpiece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Favourite solo - too hard to call I love the solo in comfortably numb - but the solo in another brick in wall is just so awesome - Then there's Steve Rotherys solo's just to hard to pick a favourite - but maybe just maybe, mothers going to help build a wall ;)
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited August 2019
    Some awesome choices here

Myself.. probably freebird by skynyd (totally not my bag as band but that solo rocks)
     Or the outro bit of November rain  by gnr 
     I bought that album when it came out as a kid & have 1/2 heartedly been trying to get it dialled on the guitar ever since :astonished: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    edited August 2019

Rockbottom, UFO Schenker. Bass & Drums as much of a part of it, like all great solo's. Fun starts 2.50

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Cols said:
    Since I’ve Been Loving You.  An utter masterpiece.
    My favourite Zep meisterwork.

I’m a gonna add ‘Maggot Brain’ to this eclectic mix.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Hard to pin it down but today it’s George Harrison on Something. Lyrical, understated, perfect timing, just utterly beautiful. George’s finest hour. 

Mick Ronson’s effort on Bowie’s Moonage Daydream is a monster of a solo too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Too many to remember, way too many, but here are some that come to mind:
    Badge - Cream
    Penthouse Pauper - Point Blank (the track is largely crap until the solo starts)
    Too Drunk To Live, Too Young To Die - Alcatrazz
    Born On The Bayou - Creedence
    C'mon - Man (not the recorded version but some of the live performances I saw at the Torrington)

• Paul31Paul31 Frets: 22
    edited August 2019
    I mentioned The Rocker solo by Thin Lizzy when joining up yesterday and i like loads of others as well, but this one is so cool and that tone he has their also.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited August 2019
    Adrian Smith - Stranger In A Strange Land.
    An iron maiden dvd arrived yesterday and I watched it - it had SIASL which I’ve never taken much notice of before - it was fantastic. One of the best songs on the dvd. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    I know lots will hate this but Neil Young Like a Hurricane (live version)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The first solo on Television's Ain't That Nothing. Or maybe the second...... So many Television solos are contenders.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5763
    I’d have no idea how to answer this. I’m glad someone mentioned George though. I’m not sure there’s ever been a more soulful or elegant guitarist. His solo on The Bluest Blues always stands out as a masterpiece, in the light of Alvin Lee’s self indulgent widling that comes after it. 
  • I know lots will hate this but Neil Young Like a Hurricane (live version)
    Wis from me.
    NY is the true successor to Hendrix in that his live solos are not solos but an artistic  'happening'. 
    It has to be experienced live as there is no recording medium that can convey everything that is going on.

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    TTBZ said:
    It's actually impossible to pick just one though but that one stands out to me. It's just the perfect balance of melody and technicality and pleases my ear. 

I haven't really listened to a Protest record since Fortress, is there a more recent one I should try to get into?

I always enjoyed Kurt Cobain just shoving his guitar into a speaker and seeing what noises came out. I think I prefer live versions of just about every solo.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Pink Floyd - Dogs.

The ones already mentioned from The Wall are amazing as well but Dogs is my ultimate favourite.