PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    This is my CE22 from 2000 bit of an old pic but it's the only one in my imgur account.  It currently has 57/08s and 3 way McCarty wiring with a push/push pot for the partial coil splits as per the dgt.  I've had other PRS over the years but this one has lasted longer than any other guitar I've ever owned and is still my number 1.  Definitely not a case queen there are marks in the finish and the nitro has started to wear through on the back of the neck from use but it just feels wonderful to play and sounds great 

#prspride

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Daaahling they never went out of fashion !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Jalapeno said:

I don't come on guitar forum (especially in the on topic area) to see pictures of him.  It's bad enough my wife watching it on a Saturday night.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Here's a pic from my Halloween pub gig on Sat, just to show that some of the so-called OTT/fancy/dentist/lawyer/trophy/glass cabinet/case queen/unfashionable/etc ones get out and about in the real world.  It's my #1 and does every rehearsal and gig of my 80s covers band.

Nicknamed "the Empress", it's a Private Stock DC594 with SC-spec 'fatback', 408 Signature switching and a one-off set of 408 pickups.  It's finished in Apricot with a pure nitro finish (no plasticiser layer) over a one-piece maple top.  It has a chaltecoco neck with a Madagascan Rosewoood fingerboard, Labyrinth Knot inlays and a bone nut.  It was specced up and signed off on by Paul Smith himself pre-/during-/post- build after we'd had a chat at a dealer event here in the UK in early 2016.  Let's just say he wanted to make sure this guitar was a good 'un  ;)

Dia de los Muertos makeup optional.

#prspride

2reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wowed for the guitar and the standing on the seats
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha ha, thanks - you gotta put on a show for the punters, right?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:

I don't come on guitar forum (especially in the on topic area) to see pictures of him.  It's bad enough my wife watching it on a Saturday night.
    (And Sunday ......) ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4880
    That guitar looks lovely @Twinfan , nice to have had a chat and input from Mr PRS himself. Not seen them inlays before either, I really like the moon's but they're nice too. Unusual to have a full nitro one, was that your request or something Paul would've done anyway? Lovin the makeup too!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Full nitro was my request but because it was non-standard Paul had to sign off on it.  The pickups were also Paul's doing, I just asked for 408s that were a bit less hot.  Here's what the spec sheet says  ;)

Here's a better pic to show the top and inlays:

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4880
    Lovely, much prefer them fret markers to birdies, moon's would be me fave though

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Twinfan said:
    Here's a pic from my Halloween pub gig on Sat, just to show that some of the so-called OTT/fancy/dentist/lawyer/trophy/glass cabinet/case queen/unfashionable/etc ones get out and about in the real world.  It's my #1 and does every rehearsal and gig of my 80s covers band.

Nicknamed "the Empress", it's a Private Stock DC594 with SC-spec 'fatback', 408 Signature switching and a one-off set of 408 pickups.  It's finished in Apricot with a pure nitro finish (no plasticiser layer) over a one-piece maple top.  It has a chaltecoco neck with a Madagascan Rosewoood fingerboard, Labyrinth Knot inlays and a bone nut.  It was specced up and signed off on by Paul Smith himself pre-/during-/post- build after we'd had a chat at a dealer event here in the UK in early 2016.  Let's just say he wanted to make sure this guitar was a good 'un  ;)

Dia de los Muertos makeup optional.

#prspride

Who needs a monitor to pop a leg on! Great work..
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Wow ive never seen zebra 408s before they look excellent.  Good work sir
    Cheers!

I can honestly say this guitar wouldn't exist if I hadn't spoken to Paul directly, I wouldn't have placed a Private Stock order and even if I had it wouldn't have had the extra "tweaks".  It's of no real value to anyone else but it's absolutely priceless to me.

For the weight freaks out there, it may interest you to know that it's no featherweight at 9.5lbs due to the large amount of dense wood it's made from.  However, it rings like a bell and even notes up the dusty end sound big and full.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 417
    How do PRS guitars perform in a live band mix? Someone told me once that they don't really cut through.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11913
    Twinfan said:
    Full nitro was my request but because it was non-standard Paul had to sign off on it.  The pickups were also Paul's doing, I just asked for 408s that were a bit less hot.  Here's what the spec sheet says  ;)

Here's a better pic to show the top and inlays:

WTF, I know in Private Stock you can custom spec things but didn't know you can spec under wound pick ups as well, that is very specific! 
    Onpar said:
    How do PRS guitars perform in a live band mix? Someone told me once that they don't really cut through.

Like any guitar, they don't cut through if the overall band mix isn't good or the amp settings aren't right for he application. OK this is in a studio, but we sound like this live. Sounds fine to me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WTF, I know in Private Stock you can custom spec things but didn't know you can spec under wound pick ups as well, that is very specific! 
    I'm not sure how possible it is on every order, but given that mine was overseen by Paul I think I may have had some special treatment.  Then again, it could be possible for everyone.  If you're placing a PS order I guess all you can do is ask!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5449
    I think pickup tweaks are fine for all, you just pay accordingly. You can also specify third-party pickups if you like. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I know for sure that you can request bobbin colour changes and covers/no-covers, but winding changes I don't know.  You're right about third party pickups too, Whitecat, although I'm sure they love it when folks do that!!!!!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11913
    I am loving BOTH of those @Twinfan equally.  Love the 1 piece top, that you don't see often.  Also love the custom inlays, is that your own design?