The Guitar Show 29th Feb & 1st March 2020, New Bingley Hall, Birmingham

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8709
    Lamb is even better
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Roland said:
    Lamb is even better
    You’ve left me all on my own and it’s noisy!! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the pics Lads.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Roland said:
    Lamb is even better
    You're a bass player.
    Aren't you used to that?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Alnico said:
    Roland said:
    Lamb is even better
    You're a bass player.
    Aren't you used to that?
    Story of my life etc
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    timhulio said:
    Had a great day yesterday. Loads more people using quiet demo solutions like Two Notes gear, Fredric Effects included.

This site is still broken for me, but here's a pic of the FE stand:
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/misc/20200229_093221.jpg

A couple of things on there I've never seen before... you got some new toys out @timhulio ?
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Great show. Rory Evans was the highlight for me... amazing how good a budget guitar can sound :)
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    Just got back after a great day. Really enjoyed JJ Rosa and Bernard Butler. It was funny watching quite a few 'older' gents walking out of JJ's set. For the 3rd year running I failed to buy anything but then again I'm hardly playing much and too shy to play in front of anyone anyway

Already looking forward to next year lol
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    sweepy said:
    Tried the Boss SY1000, dear lord what an overpriced bit of kit, terrible tracking and uninspiring sounds for the money. 
    what are you comparing it with?
    I had a VG88 then a VG99, but haven't tried any since
    I have had the SY300 GR20 and have an SY-1 in my board now, even using the Roland ready Strat it really didn’t sound that impressive for the money, disappointing really as by now the technology shouldn’t need a GK pickup 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I couldn't see anyone around TheFretboard stand. Was considering thieving a baseball cap n jiggin about until someone noticed.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27543
    edited March 2020
    Just back ...

Great to see so many friendly faces again this year

Excellent again @Jason, and the 30/30 arrangement works *really* well.  Same again next year??  Seemed like there were more smaller and fewer bigger stands this year - which is great to be able to get a look at things that you wouldn't normally get a chance to  get a look at.  Although the absence of a PRS stand this year means that I'll have to delay a purchase.  Good to see your glamorous assistant @Guitar_Slinger again too.

Good to have a quick chat with @RiftAmps ;; ... @Jalapeno; all your fault 

I never knew that beard brushes were a thing ... and @Thorpyfx clearly has heard that news either D 

Good to see @guitars4you again - and Mrs G4u of course - see you again in a few weeks.    Keep on keeping on though because I'm sure the dinosaurs are due a revival.

Chance encounter with @chickenbonejohn ;; who came over to tFB stand whilst I was there chatting with @Roland. ;; Go for it John, do some publicity here, and I'll tag you in something I'm planning on doing next week.  Some really interesting looking guitars on your stand too - I'm pretty sure I didn't spot many of those designs the last time I saw you.

I only made a slight faux pas on the @OilCityPickups ;; stand - although it was really @4string 's fault for not introducing me to Mrs Ash!  Mr Beta here, ready & able guys.  Just as soon as you're ready.  And a big "WOW" for some of the updates from TIm.  Deserved!!

I was planning on refilling my parts cupboard on the @Graingerguitars stand, but sadly no parts left   Some tasty looking guitars though.

Saw a good number of fellow fretboarders wandering around too - and apologies for not remembering most of your real/forum names at the time or here   flushed    I'm OK with faces (usually), but slightly less good with names!    We should have badges.  Or baseball caps .... D

And I had a choice of parking slots in the main carpark when I got there - don't know what all the fuss is about.

[edit]
    And of course I couldn't forget the uniquely coiffured @Handsome_Chris. ; Well, OK, I did forget him, but only briefly ... Then I remembered the Handsome_Hug ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited March 2020
    @Schnozz ;I thought that the stand was manned continually. We worked the floor, and might have been talking to someone a few paces away when you walked past.
    Just back myself. Immediate thoughts:

The good:
    1. Meeting everybody. It’s good to put faces to names.
    2. Conversations with visitors and exhibitors. Someone floated the idea that this is a golden age for guitars. There were some interesting discussions about what can be done, @OilCityPickups ;; neodymium magnets for example.
    3. The 30/30 loud and quiet timing. It ensured that everyone had time to talk. I noticed at least one amp maker use it to his advantage, holding the prospective customers in conversation until it was time to turn the amps on.
    4. Curry was as good as ever. The coffee was a distinct improvement on previous years.
    5. Collaboration between exhibitors. There was a sense that we’re working together to develop the market, rather than competing for every sale.

The bad:
    1. Noise. There were a number of exhibitors who spent time playing their guitars/amps. Not only were they missing opportunities to talk to prospects, they were polluting the air for everyone else. Someone suggested that exhibitors should be prevented from playing on their own stands. OK if you’ve got a demonstrator. Also OK if you’re trying a guitar/amp on someone else’s stand, because then you’re a customer. However widdling away on your own stand wastes your time and everyone else’s ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I purchased a Tweed (as in Harris- not Fender-) guitar strap. I think I may have become old 
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    These look awesome as ever. What’s the guitar on the left @IvisonGuitars is that an f hole I spy at this angle? 
    Thanks @Teyeplayer! Yes, the guitar far left is a custom build for Tom Spencer of The Professionals. We collaborated on it together, he wanted a Single Cut style body but larger as he felt a standard size always looked like a toy on his 6ft 5" body so it's my Hurricane shape with an added 20mm diameter. He also fancied something Gretsch flavoured so we went with a mahogany body, semi-hollow with a flame maple cap and "S" Hole. It's my '56 neck profile, a Faber Wraptonate bridge and the pickup is hand wound by Stu at SunBear Pickups, it's his Grizzly BearTron, a filtertron style with a bit more bite. Tom collected it today and brought wine, cheese and biscuits!

I had a great show again, many thanks to @Jason for another stellar event.

Big thanks to my Fretboard neighbours @digitalscream, @Roland & @Bridgehouse and great to catch up with @koneguitarist, @CountryDave, @RiftAmps@ThorpyFX, gentlemen to the last!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited March 2020
    This was the first year I didn't buy anything at the show, but I had a good chat with some old friends and put a few faces to familiar names.

Maybe I'm going off amps, but nothing really jumped out at me from the noisy side of the business. However, I loved Grainger guitars stand; they have built some fabulous instruments. They were so nice, I'd feel afraid to play them at a full-on bouncing sweaty gig!

The most interesting thing was a chat with Smoothhound, who make my favourite wireless system. For the last couple of years they've shown their Siva multi-fix prototype and it looks almost cooked. It sounds great and I just like the idea behind the system and I also like to see this sort of innovation from a UK company who will also manufacture the unit here. I got amazing service from them when my wireless bug got broken, so I've stuck my name down as an interested party when it is launched, probably in May.

A couple of incidental thoughts... the chicken curry was great, the 30/30 was the best compromise all round, I saw lots posters for the raffle but not much information about where to buy tickets, didn't bother with the live stage but it sounded fun, great to see a lot of younger kids trying gear out, and good to see a lot stands with hand sanitiser...and using them.

Good job, @Jason and see you next year.
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    edited March 2020
    Brilliant day, although ended up being bloody expensive...

Bought a set of the Oil City Tele pickups on the spot after plugging their Tele in - holy moly what a TONE!!!

Picked up an Anasounds Element with the medium reverb tank, easily the best reverb I’ve ever heard.

Thought I’d check out ThorpyFX to see what the hype was about and ended up with one of his compressors too!

And Phil X was brilliant. Great day all round.
    danny_777 said:

Bought a set of the Oil City Tele pickups on the spot after plugging their Tele in - holy moly what a TONE!!!
    That would be Ash’s personal Tele.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    So who won the raffle? Bought some tickets but nobody took any contact details so assume they’re posting the winning ticket somewhere?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    So who won the raffle? Bought some tickets but nobody took any contact details so assume they’re posting the winning ticket somewhere?
    Damn good question. Bought some myself.

Earth calling  @Jason ....... who won the raffle guitar?