2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Thanks for all the advice above - I’ll take it all in and see what’s appropriate for my situation. I’ve no doubt that form could be the issue, I’ll see if I can get someone to check that for me in the first instance.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27553
    Iamnobody said:

Don’t forget how important stretching and warming up/cooling down is; I did and now my knee is protesting and there’s no running for me at the moment. 

Do you know, or know of, any *decent* physios?

They'll probably be best placed to advise given that they can check you over first, work out the weak / vulnerable spots, and then suggest a warm-up routine that'll work best for your body, how far/fast you should push, appropriate training programmes, etc.

That said, when I told my physio (a former tri-athlete who has fixed various bits of my body over the last 15-odd years) that I was planning on doing c25k and aiming for a 30min time, just looked at me and said "really?"
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Yep, important the physio understands running. Many don't!!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited February 2020
    @TTony I don’t know a physio but have some recommendations locally inc sports massage so it’s looking like that’s the route I’ll go down. Also @King85 ;has kindly advised the local NHS self referral system for physio is available so plenty of options there. Cheers 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
     I don’t know a physio 
    Which is a good thing (lucky you not to have needed one!), but find a good one and they’ll get you sorted!

Mine saved me surgery on a prolapsed disc about 10 years ago.  If I get an ache or pain, I go see her, and she generally fixes it.  But, before I found her, I’d seen others who were next to useless.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Weekly report. 6x 30-40 min runs this week mixed with the 100 pressup challenge and yoga. Day off today.

Start weight 6 Jan 14st, current weight 12st 12lbs.

Have a great weekend all and hope it's not too wet where you are.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2020
    I never stretch before, and while warming down will do some heel kicks and knee lifts, followed by heel-behind-the-bum stretches and lunge stretches. Never bounce, though, I learned that from a couple of colour sergeants via a "commando" training book.

6 miles yesterday along the river, and 6.5 miles today around the houses. Today was the first time I've been over undulating terrain in ages - it was a slow but good leg workout more than anything. I've returned to my roots, and it's nice to set targets like running through familiar areas of town. Today I ran past the first 2 houses I grew up in. Running past all 3 will be more of a challenge, that's probably around 9 miles but doable at some stage. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    I had what I can only assume was runner's high tonight. Never had it before in all my years of on and off training. And man did it feel good.

Hope everyone is still enjoying it.
  • Getting back into it after a few weeks of laziness/injury. I've been doing a couple of miles pretty much every day for the past week and a bit. Trying to get my conditioning back to something like where it was before the break as training for the half marathon starts on Monday.
  • Parkrun on Saturday in 24:10. 6.5 miles yesterday.
    edited February 2020
    Interesting run this morning!! Out for a 5 miler through the woods when around 2 miles in this dog - whippet/greyhound/lurcher style comes out of nowhere at full speed and jumps at me hitting my ear. Lucky for me the dog had a muzzle on. I push it away and it jumps up again trying to bite my ear whislt barking and growling really aggressively. I could see the owners about 50 feet away and they made no attempt to call or recoil the dog. At this stage I'm shouting at it and the owners to get the dog under control and felt concern for my safety.

It then runs about 20 feet away before turning and running at me again.  So on the spur of the moment I did a low kick about dog head height and I must have timed it right since it hit the dog full on and knocked it over. The dog yelped then got up and attempted to attack again and jumped at me. I turned my back on it and managed to elbow it in the stomach which it yelped several times and ran back to the owner. I'm assuming I winded it.  This was all in the space of a few seconds so was purely reactions in self defence.

No apology from the owner or asking to see if I was ok. I swore at the owners and told them I'd hurt the dog if it comes at me again!  Or words to the effect. Lucky for me it had a muzzle on or could have been much worse. Another dog walker witnessed this and asked if I was ok.

I should say that I've had dogs all my life and currently have 2 labs so am not scared of dogs but also give a wide berth or stand still if any approach on a run. This dog came out of nowhere and very aggressive plus no control from the owners!!

After the attack I was so close to loosing my temper with the owners but I held back thinking I've defended myself and not going to land myself in trouble by kicking off. I think the space between us helped. I was also aware they were around late 40s/early 50s and didn't look in particularly good shape. I'm reasonably fit so I know I'd have done some serious damage if I kicked off. Not worth it and not in my nature to hurt others.

No damage luckily so continued my run.  Oddly the last 3 miles were quite calm although I did worry I was so close to losing my rag. Teenage years taught me that's never a good thing. I must be growing up!

So 5 miles for me this morning!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BTW well done to everyone still running. Looks like lots of great progress.
    edited February 2020
    Unbelievable @mcsdan . There are some nasty sorts about. They don't deserve to be dog owners. I'm a dog lover but wouldn't have a problem in defending myself (at any cost) in that type of situation.

Edit: Completed my 40th run of 2020 tonight. Celebrating with a big pint of....water.
    edited February 2020
    I don’t get experiences like that on my treadmill @mcsdan!

I have no plans to start woods-trail-running anytime soon.

Its been a week off for me.  Possibly pushed a little hard on my last couple of runs and felt a few aches & pains.  So, time off to recover/repair.  Aiming to get back on the treadmill at the weekend though - I’m not quitting yet.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17624
    tFB Trader
    mcsdan said:
    Interesting run this morning!! Out for a 5 miler through the woods when around 2 miles in this dog - whippet/greyhound/lurcher style comes out of nowhere at full speed and jumps at me hitting my ear. Lucky for me the dog had a muzzle on. I push it away and it jumps up again trying to bite my ear whislt barking and growling really aggressively. I could see the owners about 50 feet away and they made no attempt to call or recoil the dog. At this stage I'm shouting at it and the owners to get the dog under control and felt concern for my safety.

It then runs about 20 feet away before turning and running at me again.  So on the spur of the moment I did a low kick about dog head height and I must have timed it right since it hit the dog full on and knocked it over. The dog yelped then got up and attempted to attack again and jumped at me. I turned my back on it and managed to elbow it in the stomach which it yelped several times and ran back to the owner. I'm assuming I winded it.  This was all in the space of a few seconds so was purely reactions in self defence.

No apology from the owner or asking to see if I was ok. I swore at the owners and told them I'd hurt the dog if it comes at me again!  Or words to the effect. Lucky for me it had a muzzle on or could have been much worse. Another dog walker witnessed this and asked if I was ok.

I should say that I've had dogs all my life and currently have 2 labs so am not scared of dogs but also give a wide berth or stand still if any approach on a run. This dog came out of nowhere and very aggressive plus no control from the owners!!

After the attack I was so close to loosing my temper with the owners but I held back thinking I've defended myself and not going to land myself in trouble by kicking off. I think the space between us helped. I was also aware they were around late 40s/early 50s and didn't look in particularly good shape. I'm reasonably fit so I know I'd have done some serious damage if I kicked off. Not worth it and not in my nature to hurt others.

No damage luckily so continued my run.  Oddly the last 3 miles were quite calm although I did worry I was so close to losing my rag. Teenage years taught me that's never a good thing. I must be growing up!

So 5 miles for me this morning!

That's horrible. 

Most dogs are fine, but I've had a few bad experiences and ended up yelling at owners a couple of times when they make no attempt to do anything. 

Usually it's the little ones that are totally out of control. They aren't going to do you any harm, but I'm always worried I'm going to stand on them!
  • Christ! I've not had an experience like that, although I did laugh/grimace when a couple of ankle biters started yapping around me as I was running on the canal towpath. Said the owner "Oh, they've never done that before". Shyeah, OK.

6.5 mles today. I wasn't feeling great but actually started to relax a bit on the run. I find sometimes that I run better when I'm tired and less tense. There seems to be a comfortable stride length and pace, which I usually run below but today I stretched out a bit and it felt good.
    Thanks guys. Usually get the odd encounter with a dog here and there but nothing like this. Anyway all good in the end.

Well done @deadman you're smashing it!

Good decision @ttony to back it off. Listening to your body is a key skill for long term running.

@fields5069 yep agree I run better when slightly tired I think due to being a bit more relaxed but also just backing off a tad due to being tired which results in running better/easier.
    Cheers Dan. Not as much as you though!

I’m also finding it easier the further I get into my run fields. 30 minute point is a sweet spot for whatever reason.

5x 30-40 min runs this week. Start weight 6 Jan 14st. Current weight 12st 10lbs.
    edited February 2020
    Deadman said:
    Cheers Dan. Not as much as you though!

I’m also finding it easier the further I get into my run fields. 30 minute point is a sweet spot for whatever reason.

5x 30-40 min runs this week. Start weight 6 Jan 14st. Current weight 12st 10lbs.

Well done on the weight loss too. I started running 6 years ago and went from 14st 12 to 11st 13lb so know how well you are doing. I seemed to gain a few pounds when the distance went up though I think mostly due to additional muscle mass but also being rungry! Race weight is anywhere between 12st5 and 12st10 for me now and oddly the closer to 12st5 the more weak I feel!

The thing to remember is that as you get stronger/more muscle , it holds more water than fat so will be heavier. So it can be disappointing but I've always worked on how I've felt and how clothes fit. Ignore the scales a bit. Rather be a fit 13st than a fat 13st if that makes sense.

Keep it going. You're doing great. Keep posting up. Great to see the progress
  • Training for the half marathon has now officially started.  First few weeks shouldn't be too bad.  There are 3 runs a week on the schedule.  Until the distance really starts ramping up I think I'll do at least one extra run a week - maybe some interval training.

It's a 12 week plan.  After week 5 I'll be running further than I have in a single session before.