2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    drofluf said:
    Like @Deadman I had a couple of weeks off due to a pulled muscle. Just back from 2.5k and it felt OK
    Yeah I felt OK too but that's the concern for me. Recurrence. I still feel a tiny niggle but can't wait forever. Just gonna make sure the stretches are well executed and cool downs are long enough and cross me fingers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Deadman said:
    Been a while. How's everyone getting on? I had to have 2 weeks off with a painful achilles and just started again last night. I just wasn't bothering to stretch out and paid the price. Lesson learned. 

My problem has been 5k in 30 minutes is feeling too easy now so I was upping it to 10k in faster times. I'm now back to 5k in 30 mins and will ease myself into greater speed/distance.

In other news, I've got some new Under Armours (slung my Saucony), doing 100 press ups daily with planks thrown in and down to 11st 6lbs (from 14st on 6 Jan). I'm the lightest I've been in around 25 years. Even 32 waist jeans are starting to feel loose. As good as it feels it's a little inconvenient as my new wardrobe is all getting too big for me.

Rain and cooler weather on the horizon; runner's heaven (or should that read haven?)
    May was relatively quiet, but plan on getting more regular runs in this month as long as I can stay disciplined with stretching/rolling each day to keep my whole body from seizing up. 5km yesterday morning was a good start and plan on getting 4-5 miles in later this afternoon or late evening hopefully. 

How are the UA's? my Saucony Hurricanes are easily the best shoes I've ever owned. 

I want to try and start Yoga too, to help with my stretching, but just finding the time to do it as my wife is trying to do some stuff to keep fit too and juggling this with a 2 year old (and me working) is tricky. 

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm back at it, after 10 weeks off. Ouch.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    I managed to break through 5k in 30 mins a few weeks ago, my PB is currently 29:36 but it nearly killed me :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I'm still running but very infrequently.

Doing PE with Joe every day is keeping the fitness up.
  • Lockdown has been the opportunity I needed to get back out running again. I've gone from a pretty slow start to doing about 4 miles three times a week. My average pace isn't bad for an oldie either.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    lockdown has worked for me running wise. I had a bad start to the running year with a knee problem which also threw out my back. Got those sorted but needed some more recovery time which meant I had to pull out of my planned races for the year - simply not enough time to train properly for them. I found a new physio who is really good and was working through the issues but simply needed more time. Then lockdown hit and other potential races were cancelled or postponed anyway so at that point I decided to simply take a month off from any exercise to properly rest. TBH I've been training for the last 6 years for various races and was time to have a rest. 

Started back end of April cautiously and all seems well. Best it's been for a long time. No pains at all. Had a good May and have just started my 3rd block of training which will be a 15 miler this weekend (40 miles for the week) then onto 18 and 20 with a self supported trail marathon towards the end of June to finish this block of training.

On recovery days I've been doing slow runs with my daughter helping her build upto to 5km. We have done a 10k with a couple of breaks in but happy with 4-4.5 miles atm. These are off road so a bit harder than road running. She prefers it to the roads anyway.We do these early before work so a good start to the day. She's nearly 18 btw

Have also introduced some MTB with her as well and is working really well to get fitness up and get out of the house. 11 miles MTB yeaterday and got a 20 miler for tomorrow afternoon (my day off work). Fitting in a couple of yoga sessions (15m) each week to keep loose and doing 1-2 lots of basic "running" style exercises to strengthen glutes, hams, calves etc. This only takes 20-30 mins so easily done in lunch break.

Got my eye on the Welsh Mountain trail series of races which are now postponed until Sept. Holding off signing up until clear that are going ahead and licenced. Starts with Brecon Beacons in Sept, Black mountains Oct and Snowden in Nov.  All 3 are the 50km options and around 10-12,000 feet of climb. I also have my entry in for the Arc of Attrition at the end of January 2021. That's alot of climbing - around 15-20,000 feet plus 100 miles. All in one go with only 4 checkpoints so have to carry everything with you. Also includes 2 nights of running! So the welsh mountains will form the hill training part for that races. Hoping to get a long distance race in around Sept/Oct just to test everything out prior to Arc of attrition. That will cover the endurance side. If no long distance race is available before November then I'll do a self supported one on my own but I'm lazy so a race is far easy with less to carry lol

Good to hear others are getting out running and/or exercising. Good to keep fit in these times but even better for the mental side too.

:)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    UA seem decent @joneve. I did plenty of research and it was a toss up between these and a pair of Brooks. Initial impressions are good.

Nice one @PolarityMan it gets easier mate, honest.
    I'm finally getting back into it, using the most minimal of sandals. I did a streak of a whole 2 days. :)
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
    Just found this thread. I've just started running again to stave off any chance of gaining more weight in lockdown. After 3 years off having given the gym a try and realised it's not for me.

I'm doing some kind of program with the wife, so I'm running more at her pace than mine, but it's good to get out again. The Cornish lanes are fun to run up and down...the wind in yer face....not so much. it's 3 runs a week, some jogs, some mileage targets and a splits run at higher pace. Good fun, if only my knee could hold up I could run more, at the ripe old age of 42 I've realised I'm cardio fitter that I'm physically fit these days.

On our off days we're walking the coast paths near our house, anything from 4-8 miles a day. Life's kinda bliss down here, which makes me feel terrible some days thinking about how awful it must be for others over this period.

One thing (and I'm sorry if it's in these pages, but I'm not going to read 14 pages of thread) is that I've noticed a massive disparity between my watch (apple watch series 3) and my wife's Garmin Vivo. Her watch always reports distance a good 0.02 miles before mine ticks over, the same with elevation and minutes per mile. I'm not entirely sure which is accurate, but certainly on measured distance runs it means I'm having to run a good 1/4 of a mile longer than her to get the same reading, this also makes it look like it takes me way longer.

Anyone know if either one is reported to be less accurate? I've tried googling some stuff but nothing is really conclusive. Only seem to be able to find real world tests of apple watches against other models of apple watch. It's annoying, but not really enough of an annoyance to buy a new watch (why give up GAS money!)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Garmins are generally considered to be very good.

I've done half marathons where my Garmin has been accurate to within a few metres of the finish line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Steady 5k runs (×4) this week. Achilles injury is on the mend thankfully.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Vintage-T said:
    Just found this thread. I've just started running again to stave off any chance of gaining more weight in lockdown. After 3 years off having given the gym a try and realised it's not for me.

I'm doing some kind of program with the wife, so I'm running more at her pace than mine, but it's good to get out again. The Cornish lanes are fun to run up and down...the wind in yer face....not so much. it's 3 runs a week, some jogs, some mileage targets and a splits run at higher pace. Good fun, if only my knee could hold up I could run more, at the ripe old age of 42 I've realised I'm cardio fitter that I'm physically fit these days.

On our off days we're walking the coast paths near our house, anything from 4-8 miles a day. Life's kinda bliss down here, which makes me feel terrible some days thinking about how awful it must be for others over this period.

One thing (and I'm sorry if it's in these pages, but I'm not going to read 14 pages of thread) is that I've noticed a massive disparity between my watch (apple watch series 3) and my wife's Garmin Vivo. Her watch always reports distance a good 0.02 miles before mine ticks over, the same with elevation and minutes per mile. I'm not entirely sure which is accurate, but certainly on measured distance runs it means I'm having to run a good 1/4 of a mile longer than her to get the same reading, this also makes it look like it takes me way longer.

Anyone know if either one is reported to be less accurate? I've tried googling some stuff but nothing is really conclusive. Only seem to be able to find real world tests of apple watches against other models of apple watch. It's annoying, but not really enough of an annoyance to buy a new watch (why give up GAS money!)
    I’m the same age with the same dodgy knee! Haven’t done any running since 2nd April but managed a 5k this week. Thankfully I’ve been able to exercise in other ways and although I’ve missed running I didn’t need it to keep fit.

Anyway my Apple Watch typically records between 4.8k and 5.1k for a route that I’ve measured on google maps as being slightly over 5k and Strava gives a more consistent 3.12 or 3.14 miles. 

It’s GPS technology - I don’t know how accurate that is...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    13.5 miles this week so far. Lovely 10km last night with a big lump in the middle. 

Lower back is paying for it today, so may have scuppered plans to run today and tomorrow. Would have liked to top 20 miles this Week is possible. 

Just over 19 miles in the bag this week, really enjoyed it actually. And the achilles injury stays at bay. There's a lot to be said for warming up properly!

Happy Friday everyone.
    I have a cheap-ish Amazfit Stratos, which seems to be fairly accurate and locks onto satellites fairly quickly. It has a wrist-based heart rate monitor too, which also seems to be accurate as long as you wear the watch tight enough and high enough up the arm. 
    Still plodding to get back into it. I wore trainers on my last run, as the pavements were fairly greasy and my sandals sometimes don't handle that well. I was much slower than when in sandals, which was interesting. Up to about 4.5 miles now.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited June 2020
    The trend with the running GPS watches has been towards incorporating more smart watch features, HR monitoring, music, colour screens and longer battery life. The downside is most newish watches are using lower powered GPS chipsets to accomodae the other features which means the signal isn't as good. My old running watch was a Suunto ambit 3 peak and was super accurate. Sadly they are being desupported and starting to be a bit outdated now plus they are removing the great movescount website and moving to purely an app. Not great for route planning or checking graphs etc.

I moved over last year to a garmin forerunner 945. Brilliant watch but the GPS can be a bit iffy at times. Instant pace is too slow and often inaccurate which isn't much on a problem on a straight forward runs where lap pace is a better metric but can be an issue with things like intervals. Likewise HR has good and bad days although for me isn't that bad compared to other runners I know with the same watch. Longer intervals HR is a better indicator of effort but on short intervals there is a HR drift in the body so would rely more in pace (if it works!)

Iphone/apple watch should be fairly accurate since they include the celluar network along with GPS. There are rumoured garmins coming out with celluar/LTE support which may (hopefully) improve the accuracy.

If your watch is only 0.02 of a mile out then that is excellent tbh for a running watch. Even running on shorter/longer side of a bend can make a difference. Marathons for example are measured for the "race line" allowing for the shortest route through bends. There can easily be lots of variance especially in the bigger road marathons with several metres either side of the race line. All adds up over the distance and I've seen marathons record between 0.5-1 mile difference.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited September 2023
    i
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    I got some new shoes this week as the tread fell off my old ones. Went for just neutral but I've noticed that when I first start running , every now and again seem to feel the treadmill belt slipping under me more. I guess I'm somehow keeping my foot in contact with the belt for longer but don't k ow what could be causing it. Seems to settle in after 5 mins or so.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ