2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I'm in.

We've started doing Park Runs.
    Did Buckingham yesterday.
    Mrs Oct will be doing one in Dallas/Fort Worth next Saturday, I'll be doing Chipping Norton.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited January 2020
    Just did a 6.7km run. 

Fitbit stats:
    7'22" avg pace. 
    40m elevation gain.
    157 avg bpm.
    49:18 mins.

Not my best tbh, but I'm getting back on the horse after essentially a year off. I did a 35-40minute dumb-bell session before hand too though, so I'm happy.

Bye!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    edited January 2020
    mcsdan said:
    Deadman said:
    I should have said, I'm on a treadmill with an onboard heart rate monitor for those asking. It's getting easier so pleased with my progress so far. I'm going to start posting my weight too, hope nobody minds. Just so I can look back. Start weight (6 Jan) was 14 st 0lbs. 10 Jan was 13st 12lbs.

Sounds good. Running is good for losing weight just be careful of being "rungry" after a run and eating/drinking more than the run
    'Rungry' happened to me on Friday afternoon. I had a feeling of neeeed bananas....neeeed water! 25 mins in. Honestly, it was weird. I couldn't stuff 2 bananas down my throat and a pint of water quick enough afterwards. Frigging bananas! Never thought that could happen to me. Beer or chocolate I could understand but bananas?
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited January 2020
    First run for 3 weeks having not been well. I left it a few days after feeling better to make sure.

4.21 miles/6.77km. Felt absolutely fine. Even better is the niggle I've had with my knee for a long time was partially resolved but still not right. I saw a new physio/osteo last Friday and he seems to have corrected it (distal fibula/ankle out of place) and taken off the tightness caused too. Run had a spring back in it.

Only 14 weeks now until my first race of the season. I've accepted that I wont be 100% fit for it but knee/ankle being ok will mean I can get around lack of full fitness. Hopeful now, fingers crossed!! Day1 of plan done.

Hope everyone is still out there running. Post up, it is more motivating that you may realise
    Deadman said:
    'Rungry' happened to me on Friday afternoon. I had a feeling of neeeed bananas....neeeed water! 25 mins in. Honestly, it was weird. I couldn't stuff 2 bananas down my throat and a pint of water quick enough afterwards. Frigging bananas! Never thought that could happen to me. Beer or chocolate I could understand but bananas?
    It's odd the cravings on a run but the body is actually very good at deciding what you need. On my long races around mid way usual chat with other runners will turn to drink/food once we've finished. It always begins with cake, beer, wine etc. About 3/4 of the way it changes to things like orange juice, water melon, fruit, chips etc.

Interesting, most people that train for marathons end up putting weight on. This is in part due to gaining some leg muscle but also attacks of the munchies after being rungry. lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    mcsdan said:

Hope everyone is still out there running. Post up, it is more motivating that you may realise
    Glad your back on it - injury is the only reservation I have about starting running.

Did my two 5ks on Sat and Sun. Sat was straight after an hour boxing training so was a bit slower but Sunday was a new PB in just over 26 min.

I’ve got a mate who runs distance but is slower than me at 5k. I might join him for an hour or so running rather than measuring distance just to mix it up.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Did a couple of hour long walks past two days, letting me legs recover a bit from the running the previous week.

Bye!

• 2020 total to date: 83km, 7 runs

Need to get back to it after a short hiatus due to a work trip, during which I couldn't fit in any running.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • mcsdan said:

Ok. Did my first run in about 4 years last week with the wife (who runs regularly) and we ended up doing about 10k. My legs were sore for nearly a week afterwards, but did the same run this morning and felt much better. Progress.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I left my running for over a week, and then went out on Saturday and again yesterday. I think it's the shoes, so I'm back in some Asics "33 DFA 2", a sort of minimal-ish yet traditional-looking set of daps which unfortunately are doscontinued. So far so good, I still get soreness in my foot but not much. I'd prefer to be in sandals, but if it's wet then my feet start slipping and blistering.

Yesterday was chilly for Newport, I can't remember the last time I ran in sub-zero temperatures.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    mcsdan said:

I'm still - boringly - sticking to the c25k schedule as a minimum.

After advice here a week or two ago, I've slowed down and am just running at 6mph, though still on a stready 2deg incline, and it's all going fine, building up the running time steadily.

I'm doing 3.5k in 25mins atm (I'm starting to tag on a bit extra at the end), so can see 5k being quite possible in a few weeks time.
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2020
    Finished my first 5k last night. Run no.13 of the year so far.

It's amazing how quickly it's coming back, fitness I mean. Even my cool down isn't slow. 

The biggest difference so far is some ongoing backache has gone and I'm not aching when I get up in the morning and groaning when I put my socks on, pull my trousers up etc.

Hey Tony. I've done c25k quite a few times. It'll come mate, and when it does you'll feel like a million dollars. You're being very sensible about it though. And that's a good thing. No silly injuries from doing too much too soon.

Onwards and upwards gents!
    Excellent, good to hear it's all still "running" :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited September 2023
    h

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Only just found this thread!

I’m signed up for the the Manchester 10km in May so hoping to improve my 10km time, and lose a few pounds too.

I’ve only managed 13.5km in January so far due to a couple of injuries but hoping to get a routine going soon.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well if you get bored running by yourself I’m local 
    edited January 2020
    Start weight (6 Jan) 14st 0lbs current weight 13st 6lbs, and 5x 30-40 min runs this week.

Have a great weekend all!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I left my running for over a week, and then went out on Saturday and again yesterday. I think it's the shoes, so I'm back in some Asics "33 DFA 2", a sort of minimal-ish yet traditional-looking set of daps which unfortunately are doscontinued. 
    I've got some awful purpley looking Saucony. They were reduced from £115 to something like £20, due to the disgusting colour no doubt. I'm conscious they've done a lot of miles now so gonna treat myself.

I've always fancied some Asics. Hmmm. They'll need to be a bargain though. Never pay RRP. Time to go shopping.
    Deadman said:
    Start weight (6 Jan) 14st 0lbs current weight 13st 6lbs, and 5x 30-40 min runs this week.

Have a great weekend all!

EXcellent. Good work. Keep it going.
    edited January 2020
    Deadman said:
    I left my running for over a week, and then went out on Saturday and again yesterday. I think it's the shoes, so I'm back in some Asics "33 DFA 2", a sort of minimal-ish yet traditional-looking set of daps which unfortunately are doscontinued. 
    I've got some awful purpley looking Saucony. They were reduced from £115 to something like £20, due to the disgusting colour no doubt. I'm conscious they've done a lot of miles now so gonna treat myself.

I've always fancied some Asics. Hmmm. They'll need to be a bargain though. Never pay RRP. Time to go shopping.

One of the big problems with trainer manufacturers is the constant changing of the specs of trainers. Buying trainers to suit your style (GAIT) of running and then they change them more often than not to make them worse. I tend to find the ones that work for me then keep an eye out for end of season sales and buy them up cheap. One trainer in particular was the Altra Olympus 2.0 which is a zero drop maxi long distance trainer. Very comfy and grippy. I've run many hundreds of miles in those. The 2.5 version came out which was narrow, arch in different place, fit too small, forefoot too tight. I snapped up end of season 5 pairs of the previous trainer for 1/3 the price each. I'm on my 2nd and 3rd pairs now with 2 completely new pairs in waiting. Actually I've done the same with some others brands/model so have 6 pairs still in boxes waiting lol That'll keep me going for the next year.