Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sony PS5 prices and launch date announced

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    It's shaping up to be an interesting battle in the vein of Android vs IOS as MS have clearly pivoted to being a service company and see the XBox as primarily a means to sell games subscriptions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24325
    I'll stick with Sony.
    Main reason - most of my mates play on PS. I realise cross-platform is improving but it's not all the way there yet.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I'll stick with Sony.
    Main reason - most of my mates play on PS. I realise cross-platform is improving but it's not all the way there yet.
    That's a very valid point as well - similar to people sticking to Apple or Android due to the apps they've already purchased not being able to be ported across.

I know a lot of people who have stuck with PS or Xbox purely due to it being where their mates all are.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1105
    Looks like Destrucion Allstars is no longer a launch title but on the plus side (no pun intended) it's going to be free as part of PS+ in Feb 2021

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited October 2020
    Despite being hellbent against the idea, I'm now starting to feel the allure of the imminent next-gen line-up. On the one hand, the Xbox is more appealing in design and cost-effectiveness, but on the other hand, the PS5 does have a super-fast SSD and some pretty sweet ass exclusives.

Has anyone decided on one but changed their mind and opted for the other? If so, why?
    beed84 said:
    Despite being hellbent against the idea, I'm now starting to feel the allure of the imminent next-gen line-up. On the one hand, the Xbox is more appealing in design and cost-effectiveness, but on the other hand, the PS5 does have a super-fast SSD and some pretty sweet ass exclusives.

Has anyone decided on one but changed their mind and opted for the other? If so, why?
    The Series X / S has an even-faster NVME drive.... ;)
  • Except it doesn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Except it doesn't. 
    Except they're actually the same tech it appears: 

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-storage-explained-how-it-works-and-what-you-need-to-know

So NVME SSD in both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Without wanting to get into console wars territory... the architecture of the PS5 is designed specifically to maximise data throughput at every stage and the SSD itself runs at 2x the speed (5.5GB/s vs 2.4GB/s - link), while the Xbox is basically a very good gaming PC in a nice box - more horsepower but less thought to how the bits work together. 

Not that any of that necessarily translates into better games on either side, which is the most important thing BY FAR imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m not saying the Xbox doesn’t have a fast ssd.. it does, it’ll be a massive improvement over this gen. I’m saying it’s not quicker than the ps5 ssd because it’s not. 
    The ps5 ssd has 5.5gb throughput compared to the Xbox 2.4gb throughput. 

They’re both looking to be great consoles though, I’m going PS5 cos they have the games I want, I’ll nab an Xbox down the line if they ever show me a few games I just can’t live without. 
    Just had confirmation that the Seagate Expansion drive for the Series X I ordered from Very is being delivered today. Hooray!

....but I can't use it until I get the console next week. Boooo.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    edited November 2020
    FarleyUK said:
    Just had confirmation that the Seagate Expansion drive for the Series X I ordered from Very is being delivered today. Hooray!

....but I can't use it until I get the console next week. Boooo.
    Ha, I’ll have the same problem soon. PS5 accessories out on the 12th and console a week later...  Can’t wait to stare at the controller for a week. Gonna be great fun. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was in the PS camp for a long time purely because it was free to play online. Now that both services are paid subscriptions there is nothing really appealing to me about PS over Xbox..

I bought a brand new PS4 in September 2019 and it unexpectedly broke down in July 2020. It was repaired under warranty but I was less than impressed with the repair process or communication about the problem/fix. I heard nothing whatsoever after posting it off until I received the console back a few weeks later. Nothing about what was wrong with it or what might have caused it, nothing about what was done to fix it. The only thing I know is that there was a 3 month warranty on the mystery repair (which has now expired) so i'm now left with a refurbished console with no clue whats actually been done to it or how long until it breaks again..

Having owned the PS3 and PS4 i've always hated how laggy the menu is whenever you try to do something like message a friend or join a party whilst a game is running in the background. It seems really pointless to have a snazzy looking dynamic background on the menu when it struggles to just work without getting stuck.. Is this an issue for Xbox as well?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24325
    I wish I had pre-ordered.

I bet I won't be able to get one until after xmas now.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1105
    Got an email from Game just now...

LIMITED STOCK COMING LAUNCH DAY

ONLINE ONLY PS5 console ordering update: The PS5 console will be made available to order online only on launch day, Thursday 19th November.

Units will not be available for in-store purchase, please continue to check back online for further updates.

Same thing with the Series X / S.

Who else remembers the good ol' days of midnight launches in-store...?

Very excited about getting the Series X tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    FarleyUK said:

Do report back. After watching numerous YouTube videos, I'm still leaning towards getting one of these as they tick a lot of my boxes – I'll just have to live without Spiderman for now. 

Anyway, I'm excited for you dude.
    beed84 said:
    FarleyUK said:

Do report back. After watching numerous YouTube videos, I'm still leaning towards getting one of these as they tick a lot of my boxes – I'll just have to live without Spiderman for now. 

Anyway, I'm excited for you dude.
    Will do - due to arrive this morning. Good thing I'm 'working' from home, eh....! Have downloaded a load of Xbox One / 360 games to a 2 TB SSD as well, which I can just plug directly to the Series X and get access to them.
  • How much was the new xbox in the end? 599?
    How much was the new xbox in the end? 599?
    £449 for the Series X, and £249 for the Series S.