Neural Quad Core thing demo

What's Hot

Comments

• The effects in the plugins are sub-pair IMHO.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I thought it was only amps you could capture?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10266
    The effects in the plugins are sub-pair IMHO.
    To be honest I’m 70% amp tones and form factor/usability and 30% effects. I’m mostly getting it because it’s a new toy and I can work a few shifts and pay for it. But there’s also a part of me that’s like, it’s got 8 switches, it’s a quarter of the size of the OMG9 Fractal setup I’ve got now, the touch screen and user interface looks very user friendly so let’s see if it stands up. 
  • The effects in the plugins are sub-pair IMHO.
    To be honest I’m 70% amp tones and form factor/usability and 30% effects. I’m mostly getting it because it’s a new toy and I can work a few shifts and pay for it. But there’s also a part of me that’s like, it’s got 8 switches, it’s a quarter of the size of the OMG9 Fractal setup I’ve got now, the touch screen and user interface looks very user friendly so let’s see if it stands up. 
    Hey man, I'm drowning in valve amps and bulbous Japanese commodities!! Who am I to judge!!? :lol:

Bye!

Bulbous you say...
  • Bulbous you say...
    Aye, reet healthy turnips they are!

Bye!

• But no seriously, I wasn't really that impressed with the delays and reverbs in the Neural plugins. I think there are much better options elsewhere.

Which is fine - modularity is why jack cables were invented!

Bye!

Maybe just an excuse to use both!

One thing I do need it a good transpose function. 
  • Bear in mind that I'm super picky about delays and reverbs. I generally couldn't give a toss about phasers and tremolos and what not - does it make it sound wobbly? Yes? Good enough for me!

FM3+Randy Quaid Cortezio could definitely be a good pairing!

QC + some Strymons on a Pedaltrain, that could be good too!

Bye!

The things I’m really concerned with are, would be delays, they need to sound decent. I really liked the Timeline but not the DV500 but I’m probably less picky now, and reverbs need to be decent but I’m literally only using a short plate 99% of the time. 

I need good pitchshifter, a transpose function, phaser, trem and chorus and everything else is used so rarely. 

I could use pedals in conjunction with it but my whole thing with modelling is that it cuts out pedals and the chaos it can cause when one stops working and stops your whole chain from working, for whatever reason. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    The things I’m really concerned with are, would be delays, they need to sound decent. I really liked the Timeline but not the DV500 but I’m probably less picky now, and reverbs need to be decent but I’m literally only using a short plate 99% of the time. 

I need good pitchshifter, a transpose function, phaser, trem and chorus and everything else is used so rarely. 

I could use pedals in conjunction with it but my whole thing with modelling is that it cuts out pedals and the chaos it can cause when one stops working and stops your whole chain from working, for whatever reason. 
    Does your FM3 not already have all that covered?
    DavusPG said:

Does your FM3 not already have all that covered?
    Yea it does. And more. I’m talking in general about modellers and the minimum requirement I need from them. Ultimately I just want to try a new thing. It may replace the FM3, it may not. It’s just something to do during boring lockdown. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222

Plini has done a playthrough of Pan through the quad cortex. IMO, the best track on his new album. Sounds brilliant, and the modeller is ok too. 
  • Rhett's 'review'. Doesn't seem 100% sold on it initially, but reckons he's going to buy one as he thinks future updates will make it much better than it is currently.

None of this would make me flog my Helix for, but then again, I'm not into that 0.5% difference being all that important to me as I just make a racket down the local pub/ venue/ festival.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rhett probably won’t be massively on board until he has some profiles to sell....after that he’ll be all over it.

personally, I think if I had a helix, I’d be waiting on seeing it develop. From a UI standpoint this looks so much easier to use that the Kemper. I gave a stage Whitchurch I’ll probably sell on once the QC arrives. Proof will be in the direct comparison though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Seems like all the first and second batches will go to the people who preordered directly from Neural so whatever we preorder now, we're likely to be weeks behind that. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    FarleyUK said:
    Lost me by ‘its the iMac Pro of modelling’ - translates to: easy to use, looks slick, if it breaks you’re knackered and will be obsolete in a couple of years.
    You forgot ‘overpriced, better alternatives already on the market and created by a company with questionable attitude to customers’. 
    I call nonsense on both of these points. 

I’ve been running my studio/mix room (PT HD Native) on a Mac Mini for about 6-7 years now. Aside from system storage space, (I specced it originally with a 256GB SSD, project files are on a 3TB LaCie via USB 3) I have literally zero issues with it. 
    No lockup’s. No crashes. No device issues. Nothing. It’s been literally the most reliable computer I’ve ever owned and has coped more than admirably with 150+ track mixes and sessions with enough horsepower even now to do what I need it to do. 
    It cost £999. It still works flawlessly. It hasn’t slowed down; it’s still fast and responsive, nothing has broken and it’s been used very intensively with an awful lot of compute going on at some points for very extended periods of time. The only issue is storage. Which isn’t really the fault of the machine. 

It’s an example that literally flies in the face of both of these positions. 

If I want a computer to do audio/content creation work on, I’m only buying a Mac. So much so that I’m planning to upgrade to a 27” iMac and retire the Mac Mini to downstairs as a media computer that I can casually browse the internet on when connected to my TV etc. To be fair, I cannot find fault with any Apple product I own. None have ever caused me any issues other than just regular wear. For example, batteries on old iPhones etc. I’ve used my old 1st Gen iPhone SE for about 4 years, and it was only the battery in that that started to fail even after being dropped on concrete, dropped in the bath etc. It just kept in working. I’ve upgraded to a 12 simply because I do have a lot of trust in Apple products in general because I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. And the 12 is excellent. 

Anyway. I really digress. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    What I originally came in here to say before I was triggered by the above, is that I really like the look and sound of the QC. 
    It sounds more accurate when capturing the tone of the amps. 
    I’ve profiled a lot of amps with my Kemper and no matter how you slice it or want it to be, the profile is not quite the same as the amp. 
    This seems closer if not nigh on identical from what I’ve heard. 
    The UI is better, the form factor is better. The features are better. 
    I’m seriously considering selling my Kemper (which I rarely use nowadays) and picking up a Quad Cortex. 

In fact, If anyone wants to buy a Kemper, green/black toaster, unpowered, studio use only, let me know. 
  • I've been lurking in this thread for a little while and I'm with @Nerine ;
    I've been following the QC since it was announced at NAMM last year and it has all the fixes to everything I don't like/struggle with on the Kemper and Helix. The UI seems so much more versatile and intuitive (if I don't have my Helix plugged in to the editor, I'm screwed)
    With all the details adding up into that platform, the result is some serious GAS.
    If anyone wants to buy my Helix Floor, let me know
    edited February 2021
    The Helix has the easiest UI of any music based device I've ever used. I don't own one now but it was a breeze using the unit. Did you spend enough time getting used to it?

If you think that's bad don't get a FM3. The thing needs a Masters to use without the editor. But again, using it more will fix these issues.