PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Slightly OT but close enough

Phil McKnight deep dive on the new SE 594s. Spec wise nearly indistinguishable from the S2 equivalent. So it's an extra grand for Maryland wood and nitro

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://youtu.be/3AAKzmrJnvI

I thought this was a good video for comparing tones of the core DGT vs the SE. Back to back there was a difference and the core was clearly a step above in clarity. Add some gain and it’s less pronounced but still there. Played without comparing and the SE sounds good.

Equally though - £1k guitar doesn’t quite sound as good as £4k guitar. Shocked. Probably needs someone to shoot it out with similarly priced guitars from competing brands but not sure anyone has done that yet.

I’m keeping half an eye on them - if I end up wanting a gigging guitar for places I don’t want to take a nicer guitar I can see me persuading myself into spending that bit more than I’d like if the feel is right as well because of the flexibility. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A bit more top end on the Core. I wonder how close they'd get with some EQ tweaks
    Tim Peirce is on the shill bus. To be fair it sounds great in his hands. He interviews DGT

Saw this when using the search function for this thread sad times!
    edited January 2023
    I wonder what the coil tap resistor values are

Edit: same as all the S2s I've seen. The marketing is strong lol

• roberty said:

Phil McKnight deep dive on the new SE 594s. Spec wise nearly indistinguishable from the S2 equivalent. So it's an extra grand for Maryland wood and nitro

Nearly indistinguishable? Multi-piece body as opposed to one piece, flame veneer instead of solid top, different neck construction, different finish, different fret wire (I think SEs have softer, less durable fret wire than S2 and Core guitars). Not saying the S2s are necessarily worth twice the money, but there are construction and material differences that make them more expensive guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:

Nearly indistinguishable? Multi-piece body as opposed to one piece, flame veneer instead of solid top, different neck construction, different finish, different fret wire (I think SEs have softer, less durable fret wire than S2 and Core guitars). Not saying the S2s are necessarily worth twice the money, but there are construction and material differences that make them more expensive guitars.
    Ah okay I didn't know about the body construction. It's the same hardware and pickups, and the same dimensions. The S2s have a scarfed neck with the glued on heel. I have a couple of S2s and for me it's worth the extra for the posh wood (at sale prices at least)
  • AornicAornic Frets: 480
    edited January 2023
    This guy compares it to his core 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:

Probably does depend which specs you care on. I still return to my previous point though of caring less about how close it is or isn’t to a core but how it compares to similarly priced guitars. 
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    They're $850-900 here in the US, really tempted to get on the pre-order list. Unsure if I want the burst of goldtop
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    roberty said:

One of the videos cracked open the cavity and the pickups looked whack. They had vintage braiding plus another white wire. Why not just go 4 core?! I've actually never opened the cavity of my DGT so it might be the same. And you think I'd do that before posting this but no. Cannot be bothered.

https://youtu.be/sZ2sQ9du2BQ?t=558

• skinfreak said:
    roberty said:

One of the videos cracked open the cavity and the pickups looked whack. They had vintage braiding plus another white wire. Why not just go 4 core?! I've actually never opened the cavity of my DGT so it might be the same. And you think I'd do that before posting this but no. Cannot be bothered.

It is indeed the same.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6964
    skinfreak said:
    roberty said:

If youre just splitting the coils, theres no need top have 4 wires - 2 usual wires and one for the split will do. Why pay for something you dont need?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    roberty said:
    Tim Peirce is on the shill bus. To be fair it sounds great in his hands. He interviews DGT

I have no idea why you say this. The SE sounds really great through a £2700 amp, with a PRS pedal. I don't see what the problem is. There's no evidence at all. 

None. 

Dunno.

Tin hats and shit.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12003
    skinfreak said:
    roberty said:

I have no idea why you say this. The SE sounds really great through a £2700 amp, with a PRS pedal. I don't see what the problem is. There's no evidence at all. 

None. 

Dunno.

Tin hats and shit.
    Don’t we all have a £2700 amp? With a Klon?
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Ah okay I didn't know about the body construction. It's the same hardware and pickups, and the same dimensions. The S2s have a scarfed neck with the glued on heel. I have a couple of S2s and for me it's worth the extra for the posh wood (at sale prices at least)
    Dylan notes that it's made from 9 individual pieces of wood here. His shill game is also strong. PRS marketing leaning heavily on youtubers

• Just wish they did the GDT SE in the same colours as the 594
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Dylan notes that it's made from 9 individual pieces of wood here. His shill game is also strong. PRS marketing leaning heavily on youtubers

This Dylan chap is obviously on the hype train. Thing is does he even play in bands or anything?  I’m not exceptional but i seems he just noodles a bit then wants the next guitar.
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

This Dylan chap is obviously on the hype train. Thing is does he even play in bands or anything?  I’m not exceptional but i seems he just noodles a bit then wants the next guitar.
    What difference does it make?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom