PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• Play fair, £899 is the mahogany only 594. It’s £130 (not £100) more than rrp of the 59 and as covered 59s are cheaper than rrp.

Happy to compare to the mahogany only Epiphone though. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-1961-les-paul-sg-standard-aged-60s-cherry/949017?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8aOeBhCWARIsANRFrQHSW4_yQuXbVg7th96fXxeT1Ml-4i6OjZKu3bcYNrSHm0fp3bU1mlAaApzREALw_wcB

How much of the £300 difference do you think I’d need to spend on coil tap or is it better to say it’s half way to a silver sky SE for that gigging single coil option?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Must be exhausting being female. Having your legitimacy at anything constantly questioned. 
    This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    chris78 said:
    Can I remind everyone that the se singlecut 594 is £899. That’s £100 more than the epiphone 59. Comparing with the doublecut isn’t a like for like comparison. 
    Also worth saying that other than the fact that the prs will be better built, you’ve also got coil taps which aren’t on the epi and if they’re anything like the core model, the coil taps themselves offer a very decent singlecoil sound which would be worth the £100 to most gigging musicians 
    They are exceptionally good splits. It's only a couple of quid extra in parts though. 1.1k coil shunt to grout on the neck and 2.2k on the bridge. I've started doing that to my neck pickups, really good for cleaning up a dirty amp
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9474
    Play fair, £899 is the mahogany only 594. It’s £130 (not £100) more than rrp of the 59 and as covered 59s are cheaper than rrp.

Happy to compare to the mahogany only Epiphone though. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-1961-les-paul-sg-standard-aged-60s-cherry/949017?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8aOeBhCWARIsANRFrQHSW4_yQuXbVg7th96fXxeT1Ml-4i6OjZKu3bcYNrSHm0fp3bU1mlAaApzREALw_wcB

How much of the £300 difference do you think I’d need to spend on coil tap or is it better to say it’s half way to a silver sky SE for that gigging single coil option?
    Depends if you want a guitar to stay in tune, be well intonated, well built etc. you wouldn’t be buying the epi if that were the case.

Fair point about coil taps not being expensive, but I’ve never had ones that work or sound anything other than thin and awful other than in a prs. Not everyone wants to lug several guitars to a gig.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9635
    chris78 said:
    Play fair, £899 is the mahogany only 594. It’s £130 (not £100) more than rrp of the 59 and as covered 59s are cheaper than rrp.

Depends if you want a guitar to stay in tune, be well intonated, well built etc. you wouldn’t be buying the epi if that were the case.

Fair point about coil taps not being expensive, but I’ve never had ones that work or sound anything other than thin and awful other than in a prs. Not everyone wants to lug several guitars to a gig.
    I agree with Chris 100%.

Intonation and (amazingly) staying in tune, is generally not an Epiphone strong point. 
    Well for another £100 you could get the nut sorted on the Epi and put in PRS style coil splits, but it's a load of hassle. The Epi comes with a hardcase if I'm not mistaken. You could argue that the £100 saved over the SE is a false economy 
    The thing that makes the PRS coil splits sound so good is literally a pair of resistors. I've tried this on other brand pickups and it works just as well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78 said:

I’ll admit I’ve not checked a recent Epiphone with a strobe tuner for intonation, but equally I’ve not had a PRS SE DGT in hand. The ‘59s are well enough built. The criticism I’d make of them really is the finish is a bit naff.

several guitars is a stretch - I’ve taken 2 and swapped for sound preference but at the time if my stratty thing had thrown a wobbler the humbucker guitar would have played everything. I don’t think that’s an unusual choice for gigging. I’ve also shared a spare with other guitarist in band.

roberty said:
    Well for another £100 you could get the nut sorted on the Epi and put in PRS style coil splits, but it's a load of hassle. The Epi comes with a hardcase if I'm not mistaken. You could argue that the £100 saved over the SE is a false economy 
    It does come with a case, I think I prefer the PRS bag. It’s a bit more than £100 saved at worst and depending what you’re comparing against quite a bit more. The SG at £599 is what I’d grab right now most likely. I’m not against trying a DGT SE but I’d have to be considerably wowed to pick the £950 guitar. 

Circumstances obviously vary as to what is worth it or not, but I do think PRS are giving themselves a tough time in Europe. If I was in the US right now you’re picking a ‘59 LP or a DGT and it’s $900 for either so I’d be taking the DGT on faith.
  • Play fair, £899 is the mahogany only 594. It’s £130 (not £100) more than rrp of the 59 and as covered 59s are cheaper than rrp.

Not really the point is it? The Epiphone's tuning issues are nothing to do with cost. It's to do with bullishly sticking to a historic design. You're not paying more because it stays in tune. £150 guitars stay in tune.  The point is, that the price of the new PRS guitars seems high given the materials/components/assembly and when compared with what's out there for the same or less money. Particularly if you live in the U.K. 
    If you want you can ignore the Epiphone comparison, but schecter, ltd and Ibanez do also seem to offer better bang for buck. 
    I'm only commenting because i am interested in getting one myself. It's not a slight on PRS or the guitars. I'm not saying Epiphone are better than SE. Just they appear to offer more for the money. 
    £1050 + the likelyhood of having to fork out for pickups is a lot compared to £799. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346

Not really the point is it? The Epiphone's tuning issues are nothing to do with cost. It's to do with bullishly sticking to a historic design. You're not paying more because it stays in tune. £150 guitars stay in tune.  The point is, that the price of the new PRS guitars seems high given the materials/components/assembly and when compared with what's out there for the same or less money. Particularly if you live in the U.K. 
    If you want you can ignore the Epiphone comparison, but schecter, ltd and Ibanez do also seem to offer better bang for buck. 
    I'm only commenting because i am interested in getting one myself. It's not a slight on PRS or the guitars. I'm not saying Epiphone are better than SE. Just they appear to offer more for the money. 
    £1050 + the likelyhood of having to fork out for pickups is a lot compared to £799. 
    I've seen some absolutely STUNNING Schecter PT models for £599 in the last 12 months. Superb QC....and yes I properly looked them over in PMT.

It seems PRS have even sent some to Trogly, so they must be desperate.

The QC of one of those fretboards is....questionable. Poor in my opinion.

I would describe my Schecter Jack Fowler that way @Musicman20. Everything is spot on. There are no resistors on the coil splits so I might do that at some point (I love that sound now)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    roberty said:
    I would describe my Schecter Jack Fowler that way @Musicman20. Everything is spot on. There are no resistors on the coil splits so I might do that at some point (I love that sound now)
    I tried one of these in gold...it was SO well finished! I was extremely impressed.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/schecter-pt-fastback-owht?gclid=3184642d272315baabb507e7b5fc4a9d&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=3184642d272315baabb507e7b5fc4a9d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2203_PMT_BAU_Search_Bing Ads_Shopping_Product_ Standard All&utm_term=4575205338074491&utm_content=Standard - all products
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4208
    edited January 2023
    Good to know that Schecter have improved again over the years then. They had some pretty iffy QC for a while back in the 00s and that put me off them for a long time, but I do like the look of some of their builds - the current purpleburst PT in particular.

*edit* This beaut: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Pt-Special?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=638

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:
    I tried one of these in gold...it was SO well finished! I was extremely impressed.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/schecter-pt-fastback-owht?gclid=3184642d272315baabb507e7b5fc4a9d&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=3184642d272315baabb507e7b5fc4a9d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2203_PMT_BAU_Search_Bing Ads_Shopping_Product_ Standard All&utm_term=4575205338074491&utm_content=Standard - all products
    The Charvel Joe Duplaniter is another 70s looking tele-alike worth considering in that price range. I love mine

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good to know that Schecter have improved again over the years then. They had some pretty iffy QC for a while back in the 00s and that put me off them for a long time, but I do like the look of some of their builds - the current purpleburst PT in particular.

*edit* This beaut: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Pt-Special?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=638

That's a nice one. And this is the Schecter "Tele" I bought a few weeks ago. The carbon fibre binding is a particularly nice touch.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    I had a recent schecter. Quality was superb and felt every Penny of the £999 price. 
    I don’t like their thinner U shaped necks otherwise I’d have kept it. 
    Fretwork was some of the best I’ve seen and stainless steel to boot. 

I've seen some absolutely STUNNING Schecter PT models for £599 in the last 12 months. Superb QC....and yes I properly looked them over in PMT.

It seems PRS have even sent some to Trogly, so they must be desperate.

The QC of one of those fretboards is....questionable. Poor in my opinion.

QC issues on PRS?!! - I'm afraid there must be some kind of mistake. Paul would never allow such a thing. I suspect Trogly's Gibson/Epiphone leanings have caused him to sabotage these examples. Tooling marks and dodgy knobs are Gibson/epiphone issues. ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4298
    edited January 2023
    Must be exhausting being female. Having your legitimacy at anything constantly questioned. 

I'm sure, but are you seriously directing that comment to those that would raise an eyebrow at Mimisounds' popularity given her utterly average-at-best guitar playing? People should question her legitimacy because it's entirely questionable!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    Good to know that Schecter have improved again over the years then. They had some pretty iffy QC for a while back in the 00s and that put me off them for a long time, but I do like the look of some of their builds - the current purpleburst PT in particular.

I've been interested in the black version of this for a while, they look great and the arm contour might make it a tele I can actually stand to play.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23378
    ^^  I like the look of that ash.