What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    £1219?

Should have picked up a 594 S2!
    Mine turned up today :-) 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    I’m a big PRS fan but the gold one just looks cheap. There’s no way I’d pay over £900 for something that looks like an SE standard solid colour.  It does sound good in the demo though so perhaps that’s all that matters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4043
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    edited January 2023
    The prices for the new lines are pretty insane. A lot of £1000+ SE guitars!

I'd be looking at the higher end MIM Fenders for some of those guitars instead. This is pushing it way too far.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2392
    £979 at Peach for the goldtop - https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-se-dgt-goldtop-with-moons.htm

£1,049 for the sunburst - https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-se-dgt-mccarty-tobacco-sunburst-with-birds.htm

I've just had the e-mail from them, so expect them to be in stock imminently and expect to get battered with similar e-mails from every shop you are subscribed to over the next few days.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278

I'd be looking at the higher end MIM Fenders for some of those guitars instead. This is pushing it way too far.
    I agree in principle BUT when a new CU24 is £3799, I think the price of these at a grand is where the market is. As someone that had an SE Santana in 2003 and paid £499, it seems nuts that they have over doubled in price but when you think about it, that was 20 yrs ago! Also the quality as probably doubled too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 300
    edited January 2023
    Adamski said:

I agree in principle BUT when a new CU24 is £3799, I think the price of these at a grand is where the market is. As someone that had an SE Santana in 2003 and paid £499, it seems nuts that they have over doubled in price but when you think about it, that was 20 yrs ago! Also the quality as probably doubled too. 

And the price of a core at the time was probably closer to 2 grand than 4. 

Still, more money than I’d pay.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6969
    grungebob said:
    I’m a big PRS fan but the gold one just looks cheap. There’s no way I’d pay over £900 for something that looks like an SE standard solid colour.  It does sound good in the demo though so perhaps that’s all that matters. 
    Im beginning to think its more butterscotch than goldtop - I realise its a difficult colour to photograph, need to see one in the flesh.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12003
    edited January 2023
    I remember a core to be £2499 - 2799 right up until 2015 ish then it really really spiked.
    Adamski said:

In 2009 I paid £1500 new for a CU24. Granted, it was at a show on the last day so they did me a £500 discount to clear their stock but still. 

Thing is, inflation is there. A new iPhone has doubled in price in the same time. Unfortunately guitar are in that same luxury goods category that sees such an increase.

white goods and  stuff like TVs have not seen the same - in 2008 I bought the best plasma on the market for £1000. Last week, I bought an LG G2, a top OLED, for £1199. Fridges, washing machines etc are at about a 20-30% increase. 

Our hobby is a luxury and we pay the price. It sucks but there ya go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adamski said:

It’s a bit of a balancing act and I’m sure PRS have done their homework, but £979 looks a lot more than £649 for an Epiphone ‘59
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Adamski said:

It’s a bit of a balancing act and I’m sure PRS have done their homework, but £979 looks a lot more than £649 for an Epiphone ‘59
    They would probably argue they are a better made guitar, which I’d agree with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    Adamski said:
    Adamski said:

In 2009 I paid £1500 new for a CU24. Granted, it was at a show on the last day so they did me a £500 discount to clear their stock but still. 

Thing is, inflation is there. A new iPhone has doubled in price in the same time. Unfortunately guitar are in that same luxury goods category that sees such an increase.

white goods and  stuff like TVs have not seen the same - in 2008 I bought the best plasma on the market for £1000. Last week, I bought an LG G2, a top OLED, for £1199. Fridges, washing machines etc are at about a 20-30% increase. 

Our hobby is a luxury and we pay the price. It sucks but there ya go. 
    True, I'm glad I just stick to pedals now. I keep looking at new guitars and then nope, walk away. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9474

Have you seen the price of Vintera modified? Road worn?

Andertons have their purple road worn tele on backorder at £1300.

Moaning about PRS prices when Fender imports are more expensive seems odd?
  • AornicAornic Frets: 480
    chris78 said:

True. In this climate, a used one is only 100 less than what I paid for new in 2020. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/px221230398185024--fender-50s-telecaster-roadworn-limited-edition-faded-metallic
  • chris78 said:

The purple tele is overpriced when a blue vrw is £1049 at guitarguitar.

Vintera modified it depends on the model, but £850ish gets you some of them. It’s a bit of a leap to say the Fender imports are more expensive.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9474
    chris78 said:

The purple tele is overpriced when a blue vrw is £1049 at guitarguitar.

Vintera modified it depends on the model, but £850ish gets you some of them. It’s a bit of a leap to say the Fender imports are more expensive.
    I didn’t say that.

If you’re comparing a top of the line PRS guitar at circa £1k, you need to compare to top of the line Fender Mexican (which actually I haven’t done - see Joe Strummer, Jason Isbell etc). Plenty of PRS SEs are under a grand - the new 594 singlecut for example is comparable to a Vintera modified. 

Let’s level the playing field here and PRS are not more expensive than Fender
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2418
    I paid £995 for a 1989 Custom 24 10 top with birds in black sunburst from Modern Music Basingstoke back in 1991. Still have the receipt lol. The top would only be found on a Private Stock now it was THAT good.
    Grissom's own demo sounds great as you'd expect, but then it would because he IS the legendary David Grissom after all playing through a hugely expensive amp and pedalboard. John Bolinger's demo sounds crap and he's a bloody good player. Imagine how shite we'd all sound with one.
    This will sell by the bucketload. I saw quotes for stock on the leak this morning saying 7-9 weeks before delivery. 
    Sunburst looks best, hides the lack of dishing behind the knobs better and the faux binding ups the quality look. Hates birds though especially cheap plastic ones.