Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4153
    edited January 2023
    Nice gap for Harley Benton to upgrade it's previous PRS knockoffs as it has with its Les Pauls.

These are only £200+ now, but imagine the upgrade it has done to the single cuts recently.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cst_24_paradise_flame.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    March said:
    Grissom has said that he used an SE version of his guitar for the entirety of his gig at the Saxon last night.
    For % / unit I no doubt he did say that 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    edited January 2023
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    ^ my point still remains 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2360
    If Grissom's still playing pubs there's hope for the rest of us yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23067
    StefB said:
    To play in pubs?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    StefB said:
    To play in pubs?
    To listen to Saxon.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23067
    StefB said:
    Philly_Q said:
    StefB said:
    To play in pubs?
    To listen to Saxon.
    Sounds good to me.  Well, it'll do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    edited January 2023 tFB Trader
    Not read all posting on this subject - But came across this review, courtesy of Premier Guitar with an appropriate 13 min video demo - Might interest some of you - https://www.premierguitar.com/videos/first-look/prs-se-dgt
  • https://youtube.com/shorts/fVybJhDlNSE?feature=share

Pretty close between the core and SE seems to be the consensus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    Not read all posting on this subject - But came across this review, courtesy of Premier Guitar with an appropriate 13 min video demo - Might interest some of you - https://www.premierguitar.com/videos/first-look/prs-se-dgt
    The best part of that review “…all that social media crap…” :-) You can almost hear their digital bod yelling “FFS John!” 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • March said:
    Grissom has said that he used an SE version of his guitar for the entirety of his gig at the Saxon last night.
    I'm sure he did, it's all part of the marketing. Unless Grissom bought the SE from the local Guitar Center on the day of the gig, playing one doesn't really prove all that much other than that the stock pickups are up to the job of doing the gig. He likely used the guitar he plays in the PRS promo videos or one of a bunch of guitars that would have been fettled to perfection by the techs in Maryland.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • March said:
    I'm sure he did, it's all part of the marketing. Unless Grissom bought the SE from the local Guitar Center on the day of the gig, playing one doesn't really prove all that much other than that the stock pickups are up to the job of doing the gig. He likely used the guitar he plays in the PRS promo videos or one of a bunch of guitars that would have been fettled to perfection by the techs in Maryland.
    I don't think that's here or there tbh, I think par for course for any pro - even if they're not as particular as Grissom apparently is - would be to have any of their guitars well fettled. Tbh I'd be highly disappointed in any guitar at any price point if it wasn't able to play the dog and duck without needing more than just a good set up. Preference of wiring and pickup choices being personal taste.

Chris Buck is out gigging a Squier, JJN regularly uses his Epiphones etc.
  • March said:
    Possibly, possibly not - he’s known for going into lcoal shops on tour and using whatever DGTs are in stock for clinics there etc straight off of the wall.
  • March said:
    Possibly, possibly not - he’s known for going into lcoal shops on tour and using whatever DGTs are in stock for clinics there etc straight off of the wall.
    There are quite a few videos of David doing clinics somewhere with the hang tags on the guitar. 
    He just shows up and lifts one of the shop guitars.

March said:
    There are quite a few videos of David doing clinics somewhere with the hang tags on the guitar. 
    He just shows up and lifts one of the shop guitars.

So a player of his calibre with a guitar of that quality should though to be fair. It’s hardly Nick Jonas and a Sunn Mustang. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    March said:
    And you can tell on the videos, all the videos in fact. 
    It just lacks something tone wise, it’s ok but a bit muddy and not as rich sounding as a regular DGT. 
    Been gigging my 2009 model for thirteen years now, an incredible guitar for me personally, perfect neck. 
    But I’ve not been too impressed with the SE so far, shame. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got love people with a ear so perfect they can detect a cheap guitar through a video recorded with a phone on a live gig!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    edited January 2023
    BGG said:
    March said:
    It just lacks something tone wise, it’s ok but a bit muddy and not as rich sounding as a regular DGT. 
    Been gigging my 2009 model for thirteen years now, an incredible guitar for me personally, perfect neck. 
    Even if your summary is correct, the SE is very substantially cheaper than a full fat DGT. My guess (and I’ve owned a core DGT for about five years) is that it will be ‘close enough’ given the price difference. 

The woods won’t be identical to the US guitar, the neck is laminated, rather than one piece, the bridge and sustain block are made of different materials and the pick-ups are probably built down to a price. Ergo, I wouldn’t expect it to sound ‘identical’. If it does, the Core line is in trouble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    BGG said:
    March said:
    Even if your summary is correct, the SE is very substantially cheaper than a full fat DGT. My guess (and I’ve owned a core DGT for about five years) is that it will be ‘close enough’ given the price difference. 

The woods won’t be identical to the US guitar, the neck is laminated, rather than one piece, the bridge and sustain block are made of different materials and the pick-ups are probably built down to a price. Ergo, I wouldn’t expect it to sound ‘identical’. If it does, the Core line is in trouble.

Really?
    Someone who lays 4k for a guitar is not after a sound!
    There's no sound a 4k guitar does that you can't get for way less.
    SE and Core are completely different markets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom