What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2346
    edited January 2023
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Slightly OT but close enough

Phil McKnight deep dive on the new SE 594s. Spec wise nearly indistinguishable from the S2 equivalent. So it's an extra grand for Maryland wood and nitro
    Nearly indistinguishable? Multi-piece body as opposed to one piece, flame veneer instead of solid top, different neck construction, different finish, different fret wire (I think SEs have softer, less durable fret wire than S2 and Core guitars). Not saying the S2s are necessarily worth twice the money, but there are construction and material differences that make them more expensive guitars.
    Ah okay I didn't know about the body construction. It's the same hardware and pickups, and the same dimensions. The S2s have a scarfed neck with the glued on heel. I have a couple of S2s and for me it's worth the extra for the posh wood (at sale prices at least)
    Dylan notes that it's made from 9 individual pieces of wood here. His shill game is also strong. PRS marketing leaning heavily on youtubers

This Dylan chap is obviously on the hype train. Thing is does he even play in bands or anything?  I’m not exceptional but i seems he just noodles a bit then wants the next guitar.
    What difference does it make?
    Well it's an advert. What experience does he have in playing in bands/recording etc....how do we know to trust his view.

I'm not saying this of all Ytubers - but the majority of these gush videos are just to convince people to buy. At least let it be someone who I think 'yeah this guy/girl knows his stuff despite the fact it's an advert'.

I prefer to be overly cynical with ANY marketing. That's just how I am. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think my wallet is about to take a pounding again
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    Trelf1980 said:
    I think my wallet is about to take a pounding again
    Cost living crisis my rump! 

But then again, GAS is a disability - a clinical syndrome that needs treatment. I think we should get the NHS to pay. DGT SEs for all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Slightly OT but close enough

Phil McKnight deep dive on the new SE 594s. Spec wise nearly indistinguishable from the S2 equivalent. So it's an extra grand for Maryland wood and nitro
    Nearly indistinguishable? Multi-piece body as opposed to one piece, flame veneer instead of solid top, different neck construction, different finish, different fret wire (I think SEs have softer, less durable fret wire than S2 and Core guitars). Not saying the S2s are necessarily worth twice the money, but there are construction and material differences that make them more expensive guitars.
    Ah okay I didn't know about the body construction. It's the same hardware and pickups, and the same dimensions. The S2s have a scarfed neck with the glued on heel. I have a couple of S2s and for me it's worth the extra for the posh wood (at sale prices at least)
    Dylan notes that it's made from 9 individual pieces of wood here. His shill game is also strong. PRS marketing leaning heavily on youtubers

This Dylan chap is obviously on the hype train. Thing is does he even play in bands or anything?  I’m not exceptional but i seems he just noodles a bit then wants the next guitar.
    What difference does it make?
    Well it's an advert. What experience does he have in playing in bands/recording etc....how do we know to trust his view.

I'm not saying this of all Ytubers - but the majority of these gush videos are just to convince people to buy. At least let it be someone who I think 'yeah this guy/girl knows his stuff despite the fact it's an advert'.

I prefer to be overly cynical with ANY marketing. That's just how I am. 
    Dylan's shill levels are extra strong 
    There's bits of info and observations in these videos though
  • Private_jokerPrivate_joker Frets: 7
    edited January 2023
    Does anybody know why the UK price of these and the 594 is so high compared to the US? E.g £1050 as a opposed to $900 for the figured top DGT. That price difference is consistent across the 2 ranges.  Not sure that's a good price for an Indo guitar made of 10 pieces of wood with pretty budget pickups. 
    When you compare what ibanez, schecter, ltd and the likes offer for around £1050. You're getting Gotoh and Seymour Duncan, tonepro, Fishman etc
    The Epiphone 59 LP and 61 SGs with Gibson pickups, CTS pots etc are considerably cheeper. 
    £1050 just seems a lot. I'm still interested to try them out right enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9475
    This isn’t exact but if you take $900, that’s about £750.
    You then need to add on circa 30% vat and import duty which takes it to £975. However, the pound may have been weaker when prices were set, given it was $1.03 at one stage 
    Mimi Sounds' 594 SE vid has 26k views in a day
  • Does anybody know why the UK price of these and the 594 is so high compared to the US? E.g £1050 as a opposed to $900 for the figured top DGT. That price difference is consistent across the 2 ranges.  Not sure that's a good price for an Indo guitar made of 10 pieces of wood with pretty budget pickups. 
    When you compare what ibanez, schecter, ltd and the likes offer for around £1050. You're getting Gotoh and Seymour Duncan, tonepro, Fishman etc
    The Epiphone 59 LP and 61 SGs with Gibson pickups, CTS pots etc are considerably cheeper
    This was my point previously - can't remember if in this thread or another - apparently they're not really comparable but there's less pieces of wood to the Epiphone vs rosewood fretboard on the PRS, better electronics on the Epiphone vs a better set up on the PRS (both relatively affordable to upgrade if required). I'd have to have both in hand to be making deep judgements to be honest, but they're marketed close enough to compare.

Real point of annoyance - If you go on sweet water now and look at the 59 LP or the 61 SG? $899, same as the DGT. Run that search in the UK though and RRP is cheaper - that's ignoring that there's reductions as well.

Might just suggest the sensible approach is to wait a bit if the new SEs do appeal.
    Does anybody know why the UK price of these and the 594 is so high compared to the US? E.g £1050 as a opposed to $900 for the figured top DGT. That price difference is consistent across the 2 ranges.  Not sure that's a good price for an Indo guitar made of 10 pieces of wood with pretty budget pickups. 
    The Epiphone 59 LP and 61 SGs with Gibson pickups, CTS pots etc are considerably cheeper. 
    Agreed. Beyond those who follow PRS and DG, once they’ve sold through I can imagine a big sale on these in late 2023.

The Epiphone 59 LP was around £675 ish at Gear 4 Music (last time I checked). 

These ARE overpriced. No matter what PRS or a YouTuber who is getting paid says. 
    roberty said:
    Clever marketing indeed. She’s a really fantastic player (as are many people on the world) but sadly, my cynicism kicks in and PRS know exactly what they are doing asking Mimi to demo. I just hope they had good intentions.  
    roberty said:
    Clever marketing indeed. She’s a really fantastic player (as are many people on the world) but sadly, my cynicism kicks in and PRS know exactly what they are doing asking Mimi to demo. I just hope they had good intentions.  
    Beyond the basic "is she a nazi" type questions I think it's literally just a matter of reach. Quite how she has 750k subscribers is open to speculation
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Beyond the basic "is she a nazi" type questions I think it's literally just a matter of reach. Quite how she has 750k subscribers is open to speculation
    She’s now at 799k! Roughly 150k more than Mary Spender who has been doing it for quite some time. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4163
    edited January 2023
    Must be exhausting being female. Having your legitimacy at anything constantly questioned. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Must be exhausting being female. Having your legitimacy at anything constantly questioned. 
    True, but I don't mind admitting that the 'boob-jiggling-vibrato' technique was definitely a part of why I continued to watching the vid as her 'review' of the guitar was hardly anything special but she can play for sure!
  • Does anybody know why the UK price of these and the 594 is so high compared to the US? E.g £1050 as a opposed to $900 for the figured top DGT. That price difference is consistent across the 2 ranges.  Not sure that's a good price for an Indo guitar made of 10 pieces of wood with pretty budget pickups. 
    Agreed. Beyond those who follow PRS and DG, once they’ve sold through I can imagine a big sale on these in late 2023.

These ARE overpriced. No matter what PRS or a YouTuber who is getting paid says. 
    £769 looks to still be the rrp of the Epi 59 at the moment but there’s no shortage of them it seems and you can find sales with minimal effort. Likewise the SG.
    Must be exhausting being female. Having your legitimacy at anything constantly questioned. 

That’s not my intention. The opposite in fact, I’m aiming this more at misogyny/sexism in the guitar world which still creeps through even now.

Hence I hope PRS don’t drop her when the next young female comes along. 

My main issue has always been YouTube/social media ‘influencer’ marketing hype. Regardless of the gender. 

£769 looks to still be the rrp of the Epi 59 at the moment but there’s no shortage of them it seems and you can find sales with minimal effort. Likewise the SG.
    Yep, gear4music have increased a bit but still 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Epiphone-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-Outfit-Aged-Dark-Burst/39AR?_gl=1*rsiaqa*_ga*MTA3NTU3NDM2NS4xNjc0MTM4Nzg1*_up*MQ..

£689 is decent!
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9475
    Can I remind everyone that the se singlecut 594 is £899. That’s £100 more than the epiphone 59. Comparing with the doublecut isn’t a like for like comparison. 
    Also worth saying that other than the fact that the prs will be better built, you’ve also got coil taps which aren’t on the epi and if they’re anything like the core model, the coil taps themselves offer a very decent singlecoil sound which would be worth the £100 to most gigging musicians