PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4290
    It’s not a Squier where, by now, everybody knows they need to budget for a setup. It’s a PRS SE which come with a major selling point of amazing playability. If I’d bought one expecting that,  especially after watching all the “we spent years getting this right blah blah blah” videos and it arrived with a 3mm action I’d be pretty cheesed off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4922
    edited February 2023
    Lewy said:
    It’s not a Squier where, by now, everybody knows they need to budget for a setup. It’s a PRS SE which come with a major selling point of amazing playability. If I’d bought one expecting that,  especially after watching all the “we spent years getting this right blah blah blah” videos and it arrived with a 3mm action I’d be pretty cheesed off.
    Don't you call poor old PRS, how dare you, they're clearly the greatest reinvention of an antique device ever! They completely reinvented the wheel don't you know. Haven't you read the confirmation bias on this thread enough, all those dentists have to justify their high prices somehow..... ;)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4290
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Don't you call poor old PRS, how dare you, they're clearly the greatest reinvention of an antique device ever! They completely reinvented the wheel don't you know. Haven't you read the confirmation bias on this thread enough, all those dentists have to justify their high prices somehow..... 
    Well I’m not sure my sentiment is quite as vehement as yours! ;)

But I also think it’s wrong to say that a high action isn’t a QA slip up. Surely if the action is at 3mm, then that’s what it was when it had any sort of a play test and with an action that high, you’re not going to learn much about the fretwork etc. It could be rough as guts and still have not issues with an action that high!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    Also agree.

I think what I was trying to get at with my last comment - I suspect since the guy said he owns cores etc the immediate reject was because it didn’t live up to expectations. Where expectations should be ultimately comes down to what is inferred by brand/marketing vs the reality of cost. And whilst logically nobody should be expecting a £4k guitar for £1k it’s a very fine line to walk for a premium/luxury brand - especially when they heavily lean on the USP of quality.

Or put it this way - if David Grissom walks into a store and pull that guitar with the 3mm action off the wall how does that end?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7612

Or put it this way - if David Grissom walks into a store and pull that guitar with the 3mm action off the wall how does that end?
    I don't think anyone believes that sales spiel. 
    Artists may well use whatever the shop they are performing in supply, but if you're that shop owner I suspect there's a bit more prepping and flapping going on about the imminent arrival of one of your heroes 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:

Artists may well use whatever the shop they are performing in supply, but if you're that shop owner I suspect there's a bit more prepping and flapping going on about the imminent arrival of one of your heroes 
    It’s not about the literal interpretation of a single line of bullshit. But it is about the theme the multiple lines try to build - that this guitar is good enough for a meticulous virtuoso, in fact the marketing says they really made that a big success/failure factor, so it’s worth paying that bit more for.

The answer to bullshit isn’t to give it a free pass. It’s to perk up your ears to what else they’re sliding through the same door.
    Lewy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Don't you call poor old PRS, how dare you, they're clearly the greatest reinvention of an antique device ever! They completely reinvented the wheel don't you know. Haven't you read the confirmation bias on this thread enough, all those dentists have to justify their high prices somehow..... 

But I also think it’s wrong to say that a high action isn’t a QA slip up. Surely if the action is at 3mm, then that’s what it was when it had any sort of a play test and with an action that high, you’re not going to learn much about the fretwork etc. It could be rough as guts and still have not issues with an action that high!
    Hahaha, I'm fully in agreement, a bad pot (don't tell me it just failed, it's a pot FFS) and 3mm action is not good QC.

I was just poking fun at all the PRS fan folk who always like to tell us how great they are and have better QC than other brands, blah blah blah. Goes to show it's generally all bollox, there's good and bad in every brand and PRS didn't do owt revolutionary really, he just made high quality guitars. 

• 3mm action.  Would make a great slide guitar, hadn’t thought of that!
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    Perhaps I should start shouting about Taylor's poor QC because my GS-mini came with a 3+mm action, or the frets could do with a bit smoothing at the ends?
    Or Fender's as my MIA Strat could do with a fret level as there's a couple buzzy frets around the middle somewhere?

My Tremonti SE on the other hand doesn't have any of those problems, but I did buy it second hand via a reputable shop so I have no idea of it's history.

However I do wonder who is meant to do the final QC?
    I would expect most shops would give any guitar they sell a quick check over for any obvious issues, but if you're buying from a boxshifter, I'm going to guess the last QC was the factory.
    The one that sticks in my mind is an old Anderton's video that showed them QC'ing a fresh batch of Chapman's, so I am wondering if that is common practice, or an exception?
  • m_c said:
    Perhaps I should start shouting about Taylor's poor QC because my GS-mini came with a 3+mm action, or the frets could do with a bit smoothing at the ends?
    Or Fender's as my MIA Strat could do with a fret level as there's a couple buzzy frets around the middle somewhere?

My Tremonti SE on the other hand doesn't have any of those problems, but I did buy it second hand via a reputable shop so I have no idea of it's history.

However I do wonder who is meant to do the final QC?
    I would expect most shops would give any guitar they sell a quick check over for any obvious issues, but if you're buying from a boxshifter, I'm going to guess the last QC was the factory.
    The one that sticks in my mind is an old Anderton's video that showed them QC'ing a fresh batch of Chapman's, so I am wondering if that is common practice, or an exception?
    I’m fairly sure with PRS SE that when it comes to US stock they were shipped from the Asian Factory to PRS in Maryland, QC done there and then shipped out. Unsure for UK.

When PRS push their brand as being meticulous on quality - straight off a wall and out to a gig - I think it’s fair to see if that bears out. Since it’s theoretically part of why someone may be persuaded to spend £x more than an Epiphone, what do they get for that £x.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9468
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:

Hahaha, I'm fully in agreement, a bad pot (don't tell me it just failed, it's a pot FFS) and 3mm action is not good QC.

I was just poking fun at all the PRS fan folk who always like to tell us how great they are and have better QC than other brands, blah blah blah. Goes to show it's generally all bollox, there's good and bad in every brand and PRS didn't do owt revolutionary really, he just made high quality guitars. 
    At least no prs have left that’s been dragged behind a tractor so people pay extra money for it to be ruined  ;)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10911
    duotone said:
    m_c said:
    I'd send it back for the faulty coil tap as well, but the way he tries to make out the setup is a QC issue, gives me the impression he's just trying to get attention.

Things go faulty. The coil tap could have worked when it was QC'd, but I'd be more interested in how the retailer resolved (or didn't) any problems, or if it was a common problem (well other than push/pull pots being an issue in general)
    @m_c ;;
    Am not sure how common the coil tap issue is, but I did see one YouTube video with an issue.

I received a DGT SE with the 3-way toggle switch working for the opposite pickups. Has anyone had this happen to them?! What was really odd however with this model was that the volume knobs worked for their respective pickup positions like in a typical guitar. Anyone who owns a DGT is aware that the upper volume knob controls the treble pickup and the second volume knob controls the neck. As David is known for playing on the treble humbucker about 90% of the time. Could this have been a flaw in QC at the core-tec factory in Indonesia?? Would love COO Jack Higginbotham’s input on this matter.

https://youtu.be/9Sxxv8NiwbM
    Looks like the switch was put in backwards. You can flip it around 180° without desoldering anything. Not that you should have to 
    HandwrittenHero said:

That's always complete bollocks. I don't even think it's desirable to ship a guitar to another continent with razor flat action. The slightest shift could pull the strings flat against the frets. Imagine the uproar then. I've never heard of anyone recieving a guitar with the action too low. Setting it conservatively high is the better of two evils imo
    TimmyO said:

If I was a shop (abstract, I know), I would consider it against my own interest to hang a badly setup guitar on the wall, unless it was next to a similar guitar with a better margin
    chris78 said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:

At least no prs have left that’s been dragged behind a tractor so people pay extra money for it to be ruined  ;)
    That's cos no one actually plays PRS guitars, they just keep em in the case and daren't even breathe on em in case they devalue ;)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    PRS UK/Europe have a couple of guys checking over the SE's and doing set ups....well they certainly used to. Seen interview and a video of them. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9468
    Boromedic said:
    chris78 said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:

That's cos no one actually plays PRS guitars, they just keep em in the case and daren't even breathe on em in case they devalue ;)
    Funny that because I gig my private stock and it’s quite scratched. Always assumed fender relics were for the guys who didn’t play their guitars so they need fake wear :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2023
    chris78 said:
    Boromedic said:
    chris78 said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Boromedic said:
    Lewy said:
    Well I’m not sure my sentiment is quite as vehement as yours!

At least no prs have left that’s been dragged behind a tractor so people pay extra money for it to be ruined 
    That's cos no one actually plays PRS guitars, they just keep em in the case and daren't even breathe on em in case they devalue
    Funny that because I gig my private stock and it’s quite scratched. Always assumed fender relics were for the guys who didn’t play their guitars so they need fake wear
    Na, I play both of mine all the time too, must be them others then?

Mind you that'll be the same people who insist a Gibson Les Paul will self combust if you dare even think about getting it out of a case or putting it on a stand, yet mine has done loads of gigs, a festival, and numerous rehearsal room outings yet is 100 percent intact and still looks great aside from some small dents/chips and a bit of lacquer checking. Perhaps the shit you read on here is mostly bollox then??

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    edited February 2023
    Mine even had a neck break repair!

So much speculation about this guitar with a good dose of the usual negativity towards PRS..

No one knows what they're like until one of us has actually tried one, plugged it in and had it in their hands.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Mine even had a neck break repair!

So much speculation about this guitar with a good dose of the usual negativity towards PRS..

No one knows what they're like until one of us has actually tried one, plugged it in and had it in their hands.
    I’m an equal opportunity negative. Gibson get it for brand as a weapon, minuscule incremental improvements and slack QC.
    Fender get it for magic Mexican hands and heavy use of limited run models and colours.
    I own both Fender and Gibson for what it’s worth. I like my guitars but that’s as far as I signed up for. I must’ve missed the induction day shilling course.

PRS I’m just firing at the for something they make a virtue of. They position on being a cut above because of obsessive QC.
    I don’t own a PRS, I wouldn’t be against having one.