Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZ said:
    duotone said:
    How are you getting on with it @kennedydream1980 ?
    Getting to grips with it.

The pickups are excellent and very versatile due to the treble bleed circuit. I normally set up my primary tone with a healthy amount of gain and ride the volume on the guitar to get different flavours. These pickups sound more like single coils the more you back the volume off. Wind the volume up and the guitar sounds huge. It’s like having a tele and a les paul in one guitar.

Sounds pretty promising how do you think it would do with heavy/riffy rock stuff? I know DGTs are probably mostly used for bluesy and more subtle stuff but would be interested to hear if it gets close to LP style chunk for riffs and heavier music.
    It sounds huge wound up. I use a fairly gained up sound, think Foo Fighters amount of gain. It sounds great for heavier stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Yeah just seen Leon Todd's demo of the core DGT, it definitely works with gain. If the SE sounds anything like that then it's on to a winner :) my poor credit card may take a hit, ideally I want to play one first though!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    duotone said:

The pickups are excellent and very versatile due to the treble bleed circuit. I normally set up my primary tone with a healthy amount of gain and ride the volume on the guitar to get different flavours. These pickups sound more like single coils the more you back the volume off. Wind the volume up and the guitar sounds huge. It’s like having a tele and a les paul in one guitar.

Cheers for that, I didn’t know you worked in the PRS marketing dept.!

Honestly that sounds fantastic & right up my alley, am definitely more of a Strat shape fan than Les Paul (usually play sitting down).  I am keeping an eye on Coda’s website, hoping they have both colours in stock later this month so I can try them out & decide.  

If it doesn’t blow me away then I’ll look at some other alternatives like the Cort G290 Fat II. I think they are made in the same factory.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    duotone said:
    duotone said:

Cheers for that, I didn’t know you worked in the PRS marketing dept.!

Honestly that sounds fantastic & right up my alley, am definitely more of a Strat shape fan than Les Paul (usually play sitting down).  I am keeping an eye on Coda’s website, hoping they have both colours in stock later this month so I can try them out & decide.  

If it doesn’t blow me away then I’ll look at some other alternatives like the Cort G290 Fat II. I think they are made in the same factory.

They aren't made in the same factory.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Cheers for correcting me @rlw ;

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9374
    TTBZ said:
    Looks like a SE custom 22 with 2 volumes and a pattern regular neck- I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Again let us all get on the Emperor’s new clothes bandwagon Lol!
    The body is also thicker like a McCarty, bigger frets, better pickups (maybe) and most importantly for me it has moon inlays. Could just be the marketing at work but the pickups in it sound like they have more character than your typical PRS. I'm kind of hoping my indecision about buying gear will pay off and by the time I get round to deciding if I want to buy one they might offer some different solid colours for the moon version. Goldtop is nice but I'd love it in black or something like charcoal frost.
    You really haven’t played many have you?
    edited March 2023
    chris78 said:
    I have but only in shops so haven't spent much time plugged into familiar amps with them. The guitars with SE pickups I've played sounded fine to me but a bit plain/too warm or rounded. Most people online seem to rave about the DGT pickups so I'm hopeful for the SE version. Can't wait to have a play on one anyway
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    chris78 said:
    TTBZ said:
    Looks like a SE custom 22 with 2 volumes and a pattern regular neck- I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Again let us all get on the Emperor’s new clothes bandwagon Lol!
    The body is also thicker like a McCarty, bigger frets, better pickups (maybe) and most importantly for me it has moon inlays. Could just be the marketing at work but the pickups in it sound like they have more character than your typical PRS. I'm kind of hoping my indecision about buying gear will pay off and by the time I get round to deciding if I want to buy one they might offer some different solid colours for the moon version. Goldtop is nice but I'd love it in black or something like charcoal frost.
    Many what?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9374
    TTBZ said:
    chris78 said:
    I have but only in shops so haven't spent much time plugged into familiar amps with them. The guitars with SE pickups I've played sounded fine to me but a bit plain/too warm or rounded. Most people online seem to rave about the DGT pickups so I'm hopeful for the SE version. Can't wait to have a play on one anyway
    I’m a huge PRS fan and yet the DGT is one model that I’ve not found as exciting. I find the pickups dark, which is sensible given what Dave Grissom was trying to achieve originally. 
    Nothing wrong with SE pickups, but if you’re finding PRS pickups lacking character, you’d want to play some of “dated” pickups- my personal favourites are 53/10s which sound like a mix between a great 335, tele and Strat all in one guitar, but the newer 58/15lts are a great “tele on steroids” classic humbucker with some of the better coil splits, whist the 57/08s are a great classic humbucker. 
    Lacking soul they really don’t. 

Many what?
    PRS guitars/pickups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Many what?
    PRS guitars/pickups
    What do you base that on then?
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    I think he was actually addressing that to TTBZ who said they sounded like they had more character than typical PRS pickups…
    SteveF said:
    I think he was actually addressing that to TTBZ who said they sounded like they had more character than typical PRS pickups…
    Ah! Gotcha!
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Well mine is smuggled away at Peach until I can pick it up. Everything I’ve seen about these are it’s another home run for SE - the Silver Sky is truly an amazing guitar so I have every faith this will be too. 

Went with the unpopular tobacco with birds 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Adamski said:

I like that finish.  I also like the gold top. I think I’d like a gold top with birds
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Adamski said:
    Well mine is smuggled away at Peach until I can pick it up. Everything I’ve seen about these are it’s another home run for SE - the Silver Sky is truly an amazing guitar so I have every faith this will be too. 

Yeah my SS SE is ridiculously good. Pretty sure they can make better and better guitars in Korea 
    I'm fully buying into the hype now, it even sounds great to me in the Andertons demo :) can't wait til these are in shops so I can have a play on one.

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    TTBZ said:
    I'm fully buying into the hype now, it even sounds great to me in the Andertons demo :) can't wait til these are in shops so I can have a play on one.

You can almost smell a Purple Danish Pete edition  in the works...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 542
    There is a video where David Grissom states the fret size is the same as his core model.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Thomann just changed the estimated delivery date for the goldtop from 2 - 3 weeks to 15 - 20 weeks!
    Seems to be hard getting the goldtop out!
    They've had the burst in stock a number of times already and they seem to be going fast! 
  • Jota said:
    Thomann just changed the estimated delivery date for the goldtop from 2 - 3 weeks to 15 - 20 weeks!
    Seems to be hard getting the goldtop out!
    They've had the burst in stock a number of times already and they seem to be going fast! 
    My burst is available for a good bit less than a new one  ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/244989/fs-prs-dgt-se-750-posted#latest