Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    roberty said:
    @JohnCordy Trogly didn't mention fret size and Phil McKnight thinks medium jumbo but it sounds like he's guessing. PRS can probably tell you if you get in touch. Or a pair of calipers 
    I played one today at the guitar show - they are definitely not the generic ‘medium jumbo’ that everything claims to be these days - if they’re not the exact same as the Core DGT (which are not 6100 - they are a Jescar wire that iirc sit between 6100 and 6000 is size - so more like your actual jumbo imo) then they are something very close to it 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @roberty that's what my wife said...

@timmyo I did think that it might be an important part that Grissom would insist on but you never really know with some of the decisions they make on the SE stuff
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Call me shallow if you will after seeing one in the flesh I’d ditch those knobs for genuine US ones, they look like Epiphone ones !!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JohnCordy said:
    @roberty that's what my wife said...

@timmyo I did think that it might be an important part that Grissom would insist on but you never really know with some of the decisions they make on the SE stuff
    My first thought when I heard about these was “I bet they they go vanilla on the frets” because they are a very distinctive feature on the full fat model and I’d assumed they’d want a broader appeal for an SE.

Then my first thought today on playing one was “Nice, they didn’t” 

If anything the neck profile felt a little beefier to me than on mine, but the action was a little high so that might have been what I was feeling 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited March 2023
    I was initially a bit "meh" on these when they launched but I'm actually quite interested in a goldtop one now, despite not really loving goldtops or trems! seems like a really nice guitar and I like the sound of it from all the demos I've seen so far. The bridge pickup seems to have a nice throaty sound to it, much more character than your usual PRS.

Part of me wants to get the goldtop and have the top refinished in a better colour  it would be great if they came out with some other solid colours for the moons version. Might wait and go for a used or sale one when they start appearing. Then again could probably get a used S2 Standard 22 for less than that.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1157
    edited March 2023
    I’ve ordered a tobacco burst from Peach guitars. I’ve never really been fussed with regards the PRS core models, mainly due to the price and they are a bit too blingy for me. As soon as I seen these I was interested. The guitarist magazine video sealed the deal for me. I picked the one on the Peach website that was dead on 8lbs and had a more subtle flame to the top. Should be here tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    How are you getting on with it @kennedydream1980 ?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    edited March 2023
    Guitar World review: https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/prs-se-dgt-review

Pros

• + Detailed build. 
    • + Creamy humbucker voices. 
    • + Excellent single-coil sounds. 
    • + Good weight. Stable in-tune vibrato. 
    • + Everything!

Cons

• - Some parts are generic – but they remain perfectly functional.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    Looks like a SE custom 22 with 2 volumes and a pattern regular neck- I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Again let us all get on the Emperor’s new clothes bandwagon Lol!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    Looks like a SE custom 22 with 2 volumes and a pattern regular neck- I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Again let us all get on the Emperor’s new clothes bandwagon Lol!
    The body is also thicker like a McCarty, bigger frets, better pickups (maybe) and most importantly for me it has moon inlays. Could just be the marketing at work but the pickups in it sound like they have more character than your typical PRS. I'm kind of hoping my indecision about buying gear will pay off and by the time I get round to deciding if I want to buy one they might offer some different solid colours for the moon version. Goldtop is nice but I'd love it in black or something like charcoal frost.
    If I didn’t understand what it was made you really into something that you’re in to, would that mean that you were on an emperors new clothes bandwagon? 
    Red ones are better. 

If I didn’t understand what it was made you really into something that you’re in to, would that mean that you were on an emperors new clothes bandwagon? 
    What you been drinking? :)

It just seems an odd conclusion - you don’t get it, or it’s not your kind of thing, so everyone is deluded. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

It just seems an odd conclusion - you don’t get it, or it’s not your kind of thing, so everyone is deluded. 

It may seem like an odd conclusion to you. But it’s not to me. I understand that people can and do get taken in by the next best thing that comes along all the time. Companies rely on this to exist. I still don’t understand why people still fall for it. Excellent marketing I suppose!
  • duotone said:
    Getting to grips with it.

The pickups are excellent and very versatile due to the treble bleed circuit. I normally set up my primary tone with a healthy amount of gain and ride the volume on the guitar to get different flavours. These pickups sound more like single coils the more you back the volume off. Wind the volume up and the guitar sounds huge. It’s like having a tele and a les paul in one guitar.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4161
    duotone said:

The pickups are excellent and very versatile due to the treble bleed circuit. I normally set up my primary tone with a healthy amount of gain and ride the volume on the guitar to get different flavours. These pickups sound more like single coils the more you back the volume off. Wind the volume up and the guitar sounds huge. It’s like having a tele and a les paul in one guitar.

That’s pretty much* how I’d sum up the Core one too.

*  they’re more 335-like than LP-like to my ears, I think it’s the resonance-effect from the trem springs?

edited March 2023
    duotone said:

Sounds pretty promising how do you think it would do with heavy/riffy rock stuff? I know DGTs are probably mostly used for bluesy and more subtle stuff but would be interested to hear if it gets close to LP style chunk for riffs and heavier music.