Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    TTBZ said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I never understand why people dislike the birds so much.  They're just inlays, I don't see them as a plus or a minus, I pretty much ignore them.
    I just find them (along with quilted or deeply flamed tops) a bit tacky and unnecessary. I know they're both very much a PRS "thing" but I prefer simpler/plainer looking guitars. The S2 series (especially satin!) are so close to what I want out of a PRS but the pickguards are pretty ugly compared to a normal PRS.
    I think the quintessential PRS ‘look’ is a Custom 24, in Royal Blue, with birds. 

As a guitar, I much prefer the DGT. Mine has moons but birds wouldn’t have stopped me buying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    “Birds” look like weird asymmetrical blobs to me - so a bit ugly. What an instrument looks like is part of its appeal - and I’d rather not have an ugly one 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    TimmyO said:
    “Birds” look like weird asymmetrical blobs to me - so a bit ugly. What an instrument looks like is part of its appeal - and I’d rather not have an ugly one 
    to add - I did have a McCarty with birds at one point - it was fantastic - sold it for 2 reasons - I wanted 2 vol controls, and the blobby fret markers.

Eventually a DGT with moons solved both. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    I wouldn’t bet on it having the same neck profile, the JM SE doesn’t do that part isn’t for certain.  Since it’s for an SE do a certain cost saving need to be made, it would make more sense using necks that are use in other SE.
    The Silversky se does have the shape, but the went for a different radius to avoid the "7.25 vintage scares the kids" brigade. So the cortek factory can do it. Pretty sure DG wouldn't sign off it otherwise. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Reckon it will be an all mahogany body like he plays at the start here?

https://youtu.be/yhvB8D9gt3s
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    duotone said:
    Reckon it will be an all mahogany body like he plays at the start here?

https://youtu.be/yhvB8D9gt3s
    One can but hope
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unless they use a custom neck carve to mimic the core DGT - what's the point? Basically just a custom 22 with a fatter neck and an extra volume knob?
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unless they use a custom neck carve to mimic the core DGT - what's the point? Basically just a custom 22 with a fatter neck and an extra volume knob?
    And a thicker body with different pick-ups.
    And jumbo frets and the interesting pickup configuration. And plastic tuners.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Ah yes I missed the thicker body thing! Thanks
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    Yes, but *apart* from the thicker body and different pickups, the jumbo frets, the interesting pickup configuration and the plastic tuners it's just a Custom 22 with a fatter neck and an extra knob.
    ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469

The extra volume knob is absolutely key.  It allows you to blend the pickups in the middle position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324

Yes, but *apart* from the thicker body and different pickups, the jumbo frets, the interesting pickup configuration and the plastic tuners, it's just a Custom 22 with a fatter neck and an extra knob, what has Paul Reed Smith ever given us? :)

As a previous owner of 2 DGTs, I'm interested to see what's delivered and at what price point. You could cover a lot of ground with one of these and an SE Silver Sky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:

Yes, but *apart* from the thicker body and different pickups, the jumbo frets, the interesting pickup configuration and the plastic tuners, it's just a Custom 22 with a fatter neck and an extra knob, what has Paul Reed Smith ever given us? :)
    Ahem. I must apologise. Paul didn't give us plastic tuners. He gave us Faux Bone (made out of plastic).  ;)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    skinfreak said:

He gave us Faux Bone (made out of plastic).  ;)

I used to know a girl with one of those.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Was listening to a recent Phillip McKnight podcast where someone asked him if he had heard anything about the SE DGT?

Phils response is at 1:24:40 I i doesn’t jump to that.

https://youtu.be/wekaG6mym00?t=5081

For anyone that can’t watch it, I should have said that in the video above that Phil said he would be very surprised if it came out in June. But always thought it was destined for a Quarter4 release, so most likely around September time. He said they may possibly save it for a December release, but that would be unlikely, so then would end up being a 2023 release. 
    I’m guessing he means a January announcement, I remember the Silver Sky SE was officially announced around January 11th.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Is there still going to be a proper winter NAMM in January? If so I’d imagine it’ll be around that time. TBH even if there isn’t, companies will probably still use that time for new announcements, pretty much what games developers do in June even though E3 is now all but toast. 
    @Adamski ;
    With the 2021 show canceled and the 2022 show moved to this June, The 2023 NAMM Show is now scheduled for April 13–15, 2023. Following that, the show will return to its traditional dates in January 25–28, 2024. The timeline was based on the prioritization of the health and well-being of the industry, member feedback on creating a “bridge” back to January and through a review of data surrounding current and historical pandemic activity, as well as related economic and supply chain pressures.”

Source: 
    https://www.namm.org/news/press-releases/namm-announces-2023-2024-namm-show-dates
  • PALPAL Frets: 542
    PRS SE guitars are becoming expensive a "Pauls Guitar" is about £800 ! and it's a lot of guitar. But I would suggest
     if anyone is interested in a DGT try and find a PRS DGT Mahogany Standard ! Yes it might be be the wrong side of
      £1000 but if you look at what you get it's definitely worth the money.