Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Considering how much they're banging on about the neck carve in the videos, they must be matching that. That would be potentially the biggest selling point over other SEs to me as the wide fat isn't my favourite neck shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @skinfreak the vids make it clear that the neck carve has been copied, with a lot of time spent on perfecting it and getting it consistent. I won’t be surprised if they use the standard SE med-jumbo wire though, as I can’t recall any other SE that had it’s own size yet (SS maybe?). I’d like to think it’ll ship with 11s too, but I don’t see that as a dealbreaker for many/anyone.

Is it just me, or is the neck finish on the SE sneak-peaks done in satin, whereas the rest is gloss?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Part three now live. Looks very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep them things are gonna fly of the shelves 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    @4:45 mins "It's a lot easier to get a gold top with moons now!"  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7162
    Lets hope the frets are a bit bigger than the rest of the SE line
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It certainly sounds in the right ballpark. 

Could be an ideal gigging guitar.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6914
    edited December 2022
    Colours look pretty close to me - less body sculpting on the SE.
    SE knobs are awful though.

https://youtu.be/x0IJqL2getM?t=279

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 497.1K
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited December 2022
    Those SE knobs really are toilet. Also, I don’t know why they don’t do the recessed ones on SE either, it’s such a PRS thing. Sure, that makes it look more like the core and maybe they don’t want that but I reckon it’ll be the next “big” thing they do, like when they finally added the logo on the headstock 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11915
    edited December 2022
    The recess is only on the core, its not on the S2 or even on the CE models.  Apparently, it's a very time-consuming part to buff out, which drives up the price.  It is THE tell tail signs that a guitar is a core, right next to the pronounced lip on the edge and also the strap button. 

I agree though, SE knobs screams cheap, it's the first thing I changed on my SE when I changed the pot.  The Core lampshades re much nicer IMO.  However, the DGT doesn't use normal PRS knobs, but more like the SE knobs so those are actually more accurate. 

Between the 2, I think the burst looks like the more expensive guitar but I do like a gold top, but a gold top with a "flat" carve just looks strange to me.

• I agree though, SE knobs screams cheap, it's the first thing I changed on my SE when I changed the pot.  The Core lampshades re much nicer IMO.  However, the DGT doesn't use normal PRS knobs, but more like the SE knobs so those are actually more accurate. 

I beg to differ... My DGT has core PRS lampshades identical to my Tremonti. Maybe its a year of production thing? 
  • @skinfreak the vids make it clear that the neck carve has been copied, with a lot of time spent on perfecting it and getting it consistent. I won’t be surprised if they use the standard SE med-jumbo wire though, as I can’t recall any other SE that had it’s own size yet (SS maybe?). I’d like to think it’ll ship with 11s too, but I don’t see that as a dealbreaker for many/anyone.

Is it just me, or is the neck finish on the SE sneak-peaks done in satin, whereas the rest is gloss?
    I think the neck is gloss given the reflections off of it on the video. 

In terms of the 11's, the DGT is immensely playable because of the combination of neck carve and frets which allow the slightly odd 11 set he uses to just fly. Just to test I put some 11-49s on a Tremonti SE and they had to come straight off. So if they do go for medium jumbos on the DGT SE I'd suspect a standard set of 10-46s would work better.

That said... I never tried DGT strings on my American Special strat. The half inch on the scale would make it a lot tighter though... Nope. Cannot be bothered to try. 
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    edited December 2022
    There we are boys and girls...
    Attention to detail is very good. DGT on the Truss rod cover, black tip on the trem bar. Fair play. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11915
    skinfreak said:

I agree though, SE knobs screams cheap, it's the first thing I changed on my SE when I changed the pot.  The Core lampshades re much nicer IMO.  However, the DGT doesn't use normal PRS knobs, but more like the SE knobs so those are actually more accurate. 

I beg to differ... My DGT has core PRS lampshades identical to my Tremonti. Maybe its a year of production thing? 
    Not the current year model on the website, I thought it's all Lampshades too but I did check on their site before posting that.

So it must be a production year choice thing.  I'd put a USA knob on the SE too, just looks nicer.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    The clear core knobs would look good on the goldtop, as well as the Amber. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    edited December 2022
    skinfreak said:
    There we are boys and girls...
    Attention to detail is very good. DGT on the Truss rod cover, black tip on the trem bar. Fair play. 

@stonevibe here's the image you should have up on your gearnews post, the one you've got of a sunburst model is the Core version.

I do wish the McC Tobacco s/b had moons too, but I may well end up getting one of these regardless and adding some of the SE locking tuners. If the neck profile and tones are there from the core model then it'll be a tick in a very long-standing box of mine, plus I prefer bevelled carves like the SEs and S2 models over the deeper carve on the Core versions too.

*edit* D'oh - I just realised the 'burst isn't a teardrop... I'm out! scream 
    edited December 2022
    That image was always a Core, though I added some more text to make that clearer

• My late 2014 has lampshades. I assume David Grissom doesn’t like them.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Wonder how much these will cost, only someone sold a recent DGT core for only £2100 on ebay last week. Why is it that SE PRS always remind me of Rolex clones....like the real thing but not quite. Tbh even with DG himself playing the SE it didn't have the body and grunt of his usual DGT cores to my ears anyway.
    $849 and $899 apparently