Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• I do wonder why they can’t simply ship the USA pickups to Indonesia and have done with it but apart from that it looks epic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    Looking good so far, Goldtop, moons :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1060
    Looks like a maple neck Silver Sky SE on the way too. 
  • I do wonder why they can’t simply ship the USA pickups to Indonesia and have done with it but apart from that it looks epic 
    They probably don’t want people buying a cheaper version to harvest the pick-ups from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cost, and brand protection.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23067
    I do wonder why they can’t simply ship the USA pickups to Indonesia and have done with it but apart from that it looks epic 
    They probably don’t want people buying a cheaper version to harvest the pick-ups from.
    Indeed.  A set of PRS pickups costs about £500 to buy on their own - but how much could they bump up the price of an SE if it had USA pickups?  Maybe a couple of hundred quid?
  • Good points ref the pickups 
  • The video makes it sound like making cheaper versions of the USA pickups is a job akin to the Manhattan Project. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    edited December 2022
    Gold Top & Moons is my favourite DGT combo and this just might be my big 6-0 gift to me but the gold finish has to be right 

To date, I've had 2 USA ones (both sold on to satisfy Superstrat yearnings) but this one was a corker

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    edited December 2022
    Edit: Pretty sure the flame top with birds in the link below is a core model…

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-se-dgt-is-potentially-on-the-cards-according-to-dave-grissom/
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11914
    photek said:
    Edit: Pretty sure the flame top with birds in the link below is a core model…

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-se-dgt-is-potentially-on-the-cards-according-to-dave-grissom/
    99% sure it is.

the knobs is USA, but the giveaway clue is the indent of the knobs into the wood.  That isn’t on SE guitars.
  • They sure know how to milk the hype. You’d think they were engineering the Large Hadron Collider!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They sure know how to milk the hype. You’d think they were engineering the Large Hadron Collider!
    Yeah PRS do marketing well, like everything else
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6526
    edited December 2022
    Not that I’m even close to being in the market for one, but what is the closest non-trem model to the DGT (was there ever a ‘DG’?!)..? The McCarty?

• Looking longingly at the goldtop with moons and waiting for confirmation it has jumbo frets, when I'll be 100% sold on it. There rarely seem to be any SEs or S2s with jumbos, other than (I think) a very occasional 'metal' sig model.
    Wouldn't mind but all the SEs and S2s I've owned have had rather low frets compared to my Fenders or even Gibsons, otherwise I'd probably still have them.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    Not that I’m even close to being in the market for one, but what is the closest non-trem model to the DGT (was there ever a ‘DG’?!)..? The McCarty?
    There were a couple of special runs of fixed bridge DGTs (they still called them DGTs) but not many out there.

Depends on what the defining feature is for you - dual volumes, pickups, body and/or headstock thickness? I think all those features bar the pickups are now somewhere else in the PRS lineup - when the DGT came out that wouldn’t have been the case - the McCarty was still a single doublecut model back then.

The Bernie Marsden SE model has dual volume, single tone and a fixed bridge.
    Red ones are better. 
  • roberty said:
    They sure know how to milk the hype. You’d think they were engineering the Large Hadron Collider!
    Yeah PRS do marketing well, like everything else
    ‘Paul reed smith ENDS the particle acceleration debate’ 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two videos later and not one clear image.. just show us the f*cking thing!!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    edited December 2022
    Two videos later and not one clear image.. just show us the f*cking thing!!!
    I agree…

It’s a bloody import budget version of a high end guitar. 12 months after it’s release it’ll be on sale like almost all SEs. Not saying it won’t be good but theyll be plenty of these and everyone who wants one can get one. 

I’ve never touched a silver sky SE but I think the idea is great at £600. A few friends tried them and said at £850 they were very overpriced and didn’t fulfil the hype, but they were decent.

Just don’t get caught in the hype. 
  • I think the hype is somewhat justified if they take the core features of the DGT over to SE. Prs tend to tweak the offering of the SE a bit and genericise the end result. So will they include the neck carve, jumbo frets and the 11-49 strings? It's nagging me that they wont. Just like the silver sky, if they tweak something to make it more standardised then they screw with the formula.

The other thing is the way that they have the pickups recreated means they are going to change the tone profile a bit. I'm less bothered about that as this is a ripe area for modding.