Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS DGT SE incoming...

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54 said:
    Wonder how much these will cost, only someone sold a recent DGT core for only £2100 on ebay last week. Why is it that SE PRS always remind me of Rolex clones....like the real thing but not quite. Tbh even with DG himself playing the SE it didn't have the body and grunt of his usual DGT cores to my ears anyway.
    I reckon Mr Smith is still preventing the SEs looking too much like the core models.

I think sooner or later it will happen though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11914
    edited December 2022
    Strat54 said:
    Wonder how much these will cost, only someone sold a recent DGT core for only £2100 on ebay last week. Why is it that SE PRS always remind me of Rolex clones....like the real thing but not quite. Tbh even with DG himself playing the SE it didn't have the body and grunt of his usual DGT cores to my ears anyway.
    I reckon Mr Smith is still preventing the SEs looking too much like the core models.

I can't see it.  The contour alone will drive the price up, so they won't do it on that front.  It also means eating significantly into Core model sales which they would not want to do.

Lastly, they don't want people to simply re-spray it and make a fake core.

(You can buy all the hardware on their website, the serial is handwritten on, so if the wood contour is the same as a core, PRS are making counterfeiting their own guitars super easy for the criminals.  It would be super convincing too, get a SE version of a core, find one of the same colour in a Core model online, look at the photos and put that guitar's serial number to your SE.  Change out the knobs and decal on the front, perhaps respray the whole guitar if you had to, to match.  Change the strap button.  Then visually it would then look just like a core, if someone online looks at that and email PRS in Maryland to double check that serial number, they would get a positive match)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9375
    Looks like they’ve done a very good job with usual prs attention to detail. They’ll fly.
    Used at about £500-550 and that is going to be unbeatable value
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    edited December 2022
    Strat54 said:
    Isn't that kind of the point? Why would they want it to be exactly as good as the full-fat version? Then nobody would buy it. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    edited December 2022
    stonevibe said:
    $849 and $899 apparently 
    Looking at PMT their pre-order DGT core model prices are currently:

£4,130 - PRS DGT David Grissom Trem Guitar, Gold Top

£3,950 - PRS DGT McCarty Tobacco Sunburst 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/prs-dgt-mccarty-tobacco-sunburst

Anyone think they may have got these SE prices the wrong way around?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • looks like a musicman luke with an extra knob. Am I the only one not excited by this? I mean you can get a used mccarty for not much more. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Loobs said:
    Strat54 said:
    Isn't that kind of the point? Why would they want it to be exactly as good as the full-fat version? Then nobody would buy it. 
     Not as good but maybe like The Japanese/Chinese/Mexican Fender. They don't look cheap and wrong from 6ft off. The SE Customs and this DGT do. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7546
    Rocky1991 said:
    looks like a musicman luke with an extra knob. Am I the only one not excited by this? I mean you can get a used mccarty for not much more. 
    OR:

for less than a used McCarty you can get the sought-after DGT neck profile, similar-sounding pickups, dual vols, thicker body/headstock. 

It’s a DGT SE not a McCarty SE. If “being like a DGT” isn’t something that appeals to you then no, you’re unlikely to be excited by it. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9375
    edited December 2022
    Rocky1991 said:
    looks like a musicman luke with an extra knob. Am I the only one not excited by this? I mean you can get a used mccarty for not much more. 
    If you can find a used McCarty for around a grand, give me a shout and I’ll buy it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:

I can't see it.  The contour alone will drive the price up, so they won't do it on that front.  It also means eating significantly into Core model sales which they would not want to do.

(You can buy all the hardware on their website, the serial is handwritten on, so if the wood contour is the same as a core, PRS are making counterfeiting their own guitars super easy for the criminals.  It would be super convincing too, get a SE version of a core, find one of the same colour in a Core model online, look at the photos and put that guitar's serial number to your SE.  Change out the knobs and decal on the front, perhaps respray the whole guitar if you had to, to match.  Change the strap button.  Then visually it would then look just like a core, if someone online looks at that and email PRS in Maryland to double check that serial number, they would get a positive match)
    You say that as if you couldn't do this with myriad other guitar brands that offer different tiers of the same.models. 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    edited December 2022
    You can't buy the DGT pickups - they've never been available to buy from PRS.

For those interested in or fans of the DGT, the important parts are the neck profile, the tall frets, the pickups and obviously it sounding and playing as well. Let's see if these key elements transfer to to the SE or cheaper but decent equivalents
    edited December 2022
    Strat54 said:

You say that as if you couldn't do this with myriad other guitar brands that offer different tiers of the same.models. 
    just because other people being silly doesn’t mean you have to join them.  (Pinch of sarcasm here)

And do they all have hand written serial numbers? 

Do they have the same build quality between their  base level to their top end? The difference here is like 5x from a SE custom 24 to a Core these days.

Is the price differences as wide as an SE to a Core? What is the cheapest Gibson that comes with binding that isn’t a Standard to an actual USA Standard?…but that doesn’t count since the serial is not hand written.  Nor is a Fender.

edited January 2023
    I might actually get one of these to make my guitar collection an even 10 in total.

Does anyone know if PRS US knobs fits on SE guitars?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    Is it me or has the price shot up, just a wee bit?

Still sounds good and I'd be interested to see if they're tall frets like on the core model.
    Kebabkid said:
    Is it me or has the price shot up, just a wee bit?

Still sounds good and I'd be interested to see if they're tall frets like on the core model.
    I guess so, but we are all thinking SE guitars being £600, except that pricing is about 10 years ago.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    Rocky1991 said:
    If you can find a used McCarty for around a grand, give me a shout and I’ll buy it.
    and I'll have 2 of them
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2333
    Must admit it is more attractive than the SE Silver Sky.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
    edited January 2023
    chris78 said:
    Rocky1991 said:
    and I'll have 2 of them
    Flipper   D 

According to the link above, pricing starts at $849 or £979.  Ouch.  I've got used to $ prices = £ prices, but since when did we have to pay more ££s than the US market pays $$s?

(I'm guessing both prices include the applicable local sales taxes).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    US pricing never includes sales tax as that is done on a State level so it varies.  So if you are lucky, it's 0% but even if you are in New York, which is only like 4%.

UK retailing pricing almost always includes tax listed.