Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: Rogue One

What's Hot

Comments

• It's really good. 

Thank fuck they have loads of 2D showings. I have no idea why you'd pay for 3D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really good. 

Thank fuck they have loads of 2D showings. I have no idea why you'd pay for 3D
    Because you get to wear cool shade in a cinema, duh! :P
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7546
    Just watched it in IMAX 3D - I like 3D so there.

It is excellent - the end sequence and tie-in to A New Hope is really well done 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    It's a bad 3D one. Have definitely seen better.

There are times when there's just a character in the centre of the field, something closer to the camera and something behind the character. The director blurs the foreground and background, which really screws with my perception. Eyes don't work like that at all.

The blurred whatever in the foreground really jars - as if you are seeing some CCTV where something significant has been  blurred out. Your brain tries to make sense of it, but when the viewpoint changes and you just see that it's a bit of spaceship, you wonder why the director didn't just leave it out of the shot!

Lesson learned. Again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good but not fantastic. Slow first hour. I like how the ragtag bunch became a team. CGI on the cameos so-so. 6.5-7/10.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good but not fantastic. Slow first hour. I like how the ragtag bunch became a team. CGI on the cameos so-so. 6.5-7/10.
    I obviously enjoyed it a bit more, but agree on the CGI. The robot looked perfect all the time but we're in uncanny valley territory with the people. I suspect it won't age well as a result. 
  • I think they'll just touch it up in future to look better.
  • I think they'll just touch it up in future to look better.
    Maybe, but that won't help if I buy the bluray next summer! :D 
  • :) I actually found myself nodding off a tad bit the last hour was great.
    I was pretty close to sleep at one point, but that's cos I've just worked 100 hours in 6 days.

We'll probably go see it again over xmas. Hopefully catch Doctor Strange tomorrow if not too busy as well :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7546
    The real question we should all be wrestling with is what does this say about the mysterious Bothans? 
    Red ones are better. 
    I was pretty close to sleep at one point, but that's cos I've just worked 100 hours in 6 days.
    Now that is brutal!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    TimmyO said:
    The real question we should all be wrestling with is what does this say about the mysterious Bothans? 
    Wrong Deathstar-related sacrifice, it seems.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I liked it more than the force awakens and I loved that. But it did take a while to get going. I love the way it looks like the old films. My mum had no idea the main CGI person was CGI because she had no idea there was a bed for it. Been a while since she saw the original trilogy. The cast was overwhelmingly British too, was pretty cool
    My V key is broken
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Indeed, my wife didnt realise that the 'actor' had been dead for near-on 20 years.... So the uncanny valley is perhaps considerably more obvious when you are looking for it.
    Having said that, I thought the CGI character in the last section was flawless. I couldnt spot what about it wasnt real at all.
    My main criticism of the film, though, is Vader. He just didnt feel right. I think it is because he moved a lot more jerkily/quickly than David Prowse did. It felt more like Hayden Christensen-Vader, which would have been fine if the film was set in only-just-become-Vader-era, rather than been-at-it-for-20-years-Vader-and might-just-be-getting-a-little-weary-era.
    However, a great addition, and I can only imagine it getting better with repeat viewings. 

Adam
  • It's the eyes and the jilting head in these CGI faces. I thought the end one was as noticeable.
  • It's the eyes and the jilting head in these CGI faces. I thought the end one was as noticeable.
    Yep, me too. It's the way light reflects off skinfor me. They're getting very very good but not quite there yet.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Funny, it was the jerky/jilting head that got me too. The eyes weren't too bad, but I still think the last cgi face was good. And I'm being vague trying not to spoilerise it too much!
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Just seen it. The whole thing is worth it for the 30 seconds of Vader being an absolute badass. 

Oh oh and the rest of it is excellent too ...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11914
    I thought:-

1 - good acting
    2 - good action, great 3rd Act, I mean a lot of movies don't know where to go in the 3rd act and disappoint, this one does not.
    3 - good CGI, most of it look real...most.
    4 - good humour 
    5 - forgettable music, so forgettable it makes me miss John Williams.
    6 - apart from Jin, complete lack of back story for most of the other characters, I know there are a lot of them and if they had spent too long at the start explaining them it would be a different movie but for example, but still, like what do we know about Donny Yen's character and his friend?  
    7 - I didn't come out feeling like a kid like I did with TFA.