Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Wars: Rogue One

What's Hot

Comments

• Bothans? Wrong Deathstar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Aha. Makes more sense now.
  • The "predictability" is an attraction. And required. Star Wars is written for ten-year-olds. If I was to have seen each episode on subsequent Saturday's (like the Buster Crabbe serials they were inspired by) at age ten, would have blown my fucking mind.

As is, though, to my inner 10yo, they blown my fucking mind.

fwiw I watched it with a 10yr old last night and distinctly heard him say "this is rubbish" to his dad after about 30 minutes. Then he drifted in and out of sleep for most of the film, and woke up about 15 mins before the end. He doesnt really understand the plot from all the previous films though.

I enjoyed it, 8/10 maybe. I still think they try too hard with the grand finale battle scenes though, adding way too many random space ships flying around firing lasers for visual effect, but not actually doing anything significant. Less is more.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    ennspek said:
    What's bugging me is where are all the dying Bothans?
    As has been said wrong Deathstar.
    ? I don't understand the wrong death star thing - what am I missing? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16773
    TimmyO said:
    ennspek said:
    You know that new improved fully functional death star they built after the first one was blown up.  
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Loved it. I enjoyed TFA, but this even better. Loved the robot "I am taking the prisoners, to be imprisoned, in prison", and the
    whole vibe of the film. The ending was fantastic.

Solid 9/10 on the entertainment scale I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    TimmyO said:
    ennspek said:
    You know that new improved fully functional death star they built after the first one was blown up.  
    Aaaah! :)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6190
    WezV said:
    TimmyO said:
    ennspek said:
    Aaaah! :)
    Yup - time for something new on the dark side.

While not wanting to start the whole ST-vsSW thing, it's the #1 area where Star Trek completely wins (Q, Borg, etc)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Enjoyed it. Son perceptively commented, why does the villain ask 'Who are you' in the final confrontation? To him, she's just an irritating rebel soldier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    edited December 2016
    bigjon said:
    Enjoyed it. Son perceptively commented, why does the villain ask 'Who are you' in the final confrontation? To him, she's just an irritating rebel soldier.

Galen reacted to her in earlier in the film, and she probably looked pretty bloody familiar given that she grew up around him! Obviously time had changed things, but not enough to make her completely unrecognisable; that plus the fact that she'd cropped up in two places and ruined his plans must have made him question it.

Either way, it seemed perfectly plausible for him to say that out of frustration if nothing else?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4602
    edited December 2016
    Saw it this afternoon. My friends didn't care for it too much but I thought it was ok. Don't think I'll watch it again but I'm glad I saw it today. Thought G.M.T looked very bad but P.L looked quite good.
  • Just saw it and thought it was decent. Better than Force Awakens. Amazing how cgi brought Peter Cushing back to life.
    DesVegas said:
    Saw it this afternoon. My friends didn't care for it too much but I thought it was ok. Don't think I'll watch it again but I'm glad I saw it today. Thought G.M.T looked very bad but P.L looked quite good.
    Odd - I thought the opposite
    Red ones are better. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

Spoiler filled article about the end of the film from Den of Geek. Worth a read to re-live some of it.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star-wars-rogue-one/46054/star-wars-rogue-one-in-praise-of-its-final-third

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    Just back from it.
    Fan-bloody-tastic.
    Yes it takes too long to get going but once it does it goes and it goes and it goes! That's the X-Wing scenes I've been waiting most of my life to see. The battle scenes on the ground were amazing too, felt like a war film for once!
    The CGI? Noticeable but you have to give them credit for what they've pulled off, for me it's the static eyebrows that give it away. I've managed to avoid most of the hype so some of it came as a genuine surprise to me.
    Bad-ass Vader was a joy! His design looks different, is it the neck cowl?
    Quality ending too, I'm glad/impressed that they re-wrote it.

The force is strong with this one.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited December 2016
    I just didn't find myself caring about the leading male character, and not much about the female (contrasted to I really enjoyed Fin and Rey).  The robot was great though.  Actually I liked pretty much all the other characters.  Maybe I was hoping for more humour from the leads...

The story itself was decent (including a great ending) and the large action sequences at the end were really fantastic.  Worth a watch just for the last sequences.

Kind of mixed for me.  Definitely worth a watch though.  Wish I'd seen it in 2d but was outvoted so IMAX 3D it was.  Sometimes I find that less immersive, so maybe I'd like it more in 2D
  • Saw it in 2D at our local picturehouse cinema (great place with sofas, gourmet burgers and wine.
    I really liked it. Star Wars without the force. And it worked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:

Quality ending too, I'm glad/impressed that they re-wrote it.

?
    Red ones are better. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    edited December 2016
    @TimmyO major rescripting and reshooting as the ending was originally very different... Look at the trailers, a lot of those scenes such as Jyn facing a TIE fighter on the gangway aren't in the final cut. You'll also see Jyn and Cassian escaping along the beach with the Death Star plans...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    @TimmyO major rescripting and reshooting as the ending was originally very different... Look at the trailers, a lot of those scenes such as Jyn facing a TIE fighter on the gangway aren't in the final cut. You'll also see Jyn and Cassian escaping along the beach with the Death Star plans...
    Ah right yes - silly me, I read an article about that! 
    Red ones are better.