The Mandalorian

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2794
    Just finished re watching the first series - lots of future cross references in there that I had forgotten about,  starting Season 2 tonight 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    Lebarque said:
    Was this week's the final episode of the season? Felt like it.
    Nope

Three more to go. Feels weird that they'd wait this long to drop the Moff Gideon plot point - feels like a big deal, but with very little time left to do anything significant with it.

I think they are thinking longer term with that.  Gideon will probably still be around in season 4.

We are yet to see Christopher Lloyd, who is reported to have a role in this series.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    crunchman said:

We are yet to see Christopher Lloyd, who is reported to have a role in this series.
    Didn’t he die on Genesis? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    dazzajl said:
    crunchman said:

Didn’t he die on Genesis? 
    I've had enough of him...

What a great excuse to post this clip...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I think this series is a stinking pile of crap. After Andor, especially, it's awful - the pirates were the final straw for me. 

Maybe I'm just too old and cynical -  it does feel very much like a series for kids now. Perhaps it always was...

Suspect that my time with Star Wars is pretty much over until Andor Season 2 comes along. That's not a bad thing - I've enjoyed the universe since seeing the original movie in the cinema on release, so it owes me nothing. 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    What exactly is Grogu doing now? He just seems to sit around. I get it's called 'The Mandalorian', but he was a huge draw for the show; I'm surprised they're not using him more.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    FarleyUK said:
    What exactly is Grogu doing now? 
    Being cute and selling toys...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Looks like one contractual burbling scene per episode ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    FarleyUK said:
    What exactly is Grogu doing now? He just seems to sit around. I get it's called 'The Mandalorian', but he was a huge draw for the show; I'm surprised they're not using him more.

It feels like with three episodes to go, season 3 has all been preamble to season 4.

We've had a setup for a Moff Gideon plotline (likely featuring the Coruscant Council Estate gang), the beginnings of Bo Katan's next season plot, a teaser of what we might find out about Grogu next season, the beginnings of a "bigger threat to the New Republic" plot, and no time to bring any of those near to a satisfying conclusion before things wind up until next year (or longer...)

Strangely, Din Djarin is basically a spectator to all of those things. For a guy we all assume has his name on the title card he seems oddly uninvolved in his own show. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    Yup, this one feels a little lost and meaningless really. That said, I do like seeing more of Bo Katan*, and I appreciate that this is a lot lighter in tone than Andor, but... Andor has basically set the standard for SW for me now, and it'll be difficult for much else to live up to that.

*She's one of my favourite characters and actresses, so I dont' mind the shift in focus to her at all!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7544
    The episodes do seem to lurch about in tone - this one was kids TV level (but I still enjoyed it) where the Council Estate one was slow and considered. 

I’m happy to trust the makers. I am entertained and enjoy the immersion in the world. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    I really like it, as long as I don't take it too seriously.

I mean, very little actually feels realistic, even in Suspension of Disbelief Star Wars world.  But I won't get drawn into....***How can any world or city on any planet not have basic air defence technology that could make a pirate ship think twice!!!???  It just cruises overhead, and not only did they not shoot at it, they didn't even know it was coming!!  And why would it just loom overhead indefinitely in the atmosphere?  And why are the mandalorians not actually good at fighting (at all!?).  Felt like a great opportunity to show how special they are, but turns out they only had one special gun, and even that wasn't as good as the one special pirate gun with balcony/ship's deck mount!!!  And what about the pirate ship shields?!!  It had no shields?!*** ... banal criticism and cynical moaning which doesn't really do any good at all.  Big waste of time tbh.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7091
    Chuffola said:
    I think this series is a stinking pile of crap. After Andor, especially, it's awful - the pirates were the final straw for me. 

Maybe I'm just too old and cynical -  it does feel very much like a series for kids now. Perhaps it always was...

Suspect that my time with Star Wars is pretty much over until Andor Season 2 comes along. That's not a bad thing - I've enjoyed the universe since seeing the original movie in the cinema on release, so it owes me nothing. 

They’re two entirely different series.  The Mandalorian is essentially a rollicking Man With No Name/John Wayne Western series in space.  Andor is a slow-burning, cerebral spy thriller in space.

For every person complaining that the flashy, thrill-a-minute Mandalorian lacks the subtlety and nuance of Andor, there’s another person half asleep in front of Andor wondering when they’re going to stop talking and something’s actually going to happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:

I’m happy to trust the makers. I am entertained and enjoy the immersion in the world. 

This. I'll always give a series the full run to tell its stories, because sometimes the payoff of something that didn't seem relevant or necessary or even related to everything else that was going on doesn't come until late on.

I mean... sometimes it stays a mess all the way through, but you never know until you watch the whole thing.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    sinbaadi said:
    I really like it, as long as I don't take it too seriously.

I mean, very little actually feels realistic, even in Suspension of Disbelief Star Wars world.  But I won't get drawn into....***How can any world or city on any planet not have basic air defence technology that could make a pirate ship think twice!!!???  It just cruises overhead, and not only did they not shoot at it, they didn't even know it was coming!!  And why would it just loom overhead indefinitely in the atmosphere?  And why are the mandalorians not actually good at fighting (at all!?).  Felt like a great opportunity to show how special they are, but turns out they only had one special gun, and even that wasn't as good as the one special pirate gun with balcony/ship's deck mount!!!  And what about the pirate ship shields?!!  It had no shields?!*** ... banal criticism and cynical moaning which doesn't really do any good at all.  Big waste of time tbh.
    That's something I raised since the first episode.

Mandalorians are supposed to be these elite warriors - yet there's no evidence of this anywhere when we see any of them fight. It seems to be more based on luck (and the bad guys being crap shots, as is standard for Star Wars).
    FarleyUK said:
    That's something I raised since the first episode.

Mandalorians are supposed to be these elite warriors - yet there's no evidence of this anywhere when we see any of them fight. It seems to be more based on luck (and the bad guys being crap shots, as is standard for Star Wars).

They do seem to be more heavily armed, and better armoured than most of the others. We got plenty of stuff early on with Din Djarin versus multiple goons that were quite impressive, but I'd agree that the fights with groups of Mandalorians haven't been very impressive.

• Another fun episode. Guest stars a-plenty and it felt like 70's Battlestar Galactica at times :)

This is still the frakking way.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4162
    Another fun episode. Guest stars a-plenty and it felt like 70's Battlestar Galactica at times :)

This is still the frakking way.
    Heh, my thoughts exactly. A silly but fun episode, I liked it. :)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2794
    Seriously, a droid bar !? 
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    Chuffola said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here too but completely agree. The purpose of the show appears to have become 'keep making more show'. I imagine there will be a scene or set piece in the finale that get people talking like that scene in season two but overall this season has felt like a lot of padding.