What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2795
    Bloomin fabulous episode :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6914
    sev112 said:
    Bloomin fabulous episode :) 
    It was, and totally showed why last weeks filler episode was so poor.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4154
    I've been enjoying the whole season. I love the old school Saturday morning serial vibe of this season. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7546
    lol at:

No

No

No

No

No

No
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    That was one of the most effective minor(ish) character deaths I've seen in recent years. Often I get the impression that the show thinks it's made me care more about that character than I actually do, but that worked.

If anything, I think coming off the back of a couple of fairly flimsy episodes made this one hit harder. We've had ineffectual, barely competent enemies and battles with no stakes and no consequences, then this. You have to wonder if maybe the people who make these shows know what they're doing after all.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    That was one of the most effective minor(ish) character deaths I've seen in recent years. Often I get the impression that the show thinks it's made me care more about that character than I actually do, but that worked.
    Bluddy hell yeah, if you are going to go out, that's the way to do it.

Great motivation to actually kill <insert spoiler here> this time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    Once again some amusing ineptitude from the master warriors and assassins.  I did also laugh when two of them screamed as they went over the edge, perhaps a cry of frustration that mandalorian jet pack fuel range seems so woefully limited in a universe of infinite ammo.

"You go, there are too many for us to defeat together!  I will defeat them on my own..."

It's so cliché ridden it's really hard to take it seriously at all, and yet I still really quite enjoy it.  Proper Saturday morning cartoons stuff indeed.
    sinbaadi said:
    Once again some amusing ineptitude from the master warriors and assassins.  I did also laugh when two of them screamed as they went over the edge, perhaps a cry of frustration that mandalorian jet pack fuel range seems so woefully limited in a universe of infinite ammo.

"You go, there are too many for us to defeat together!  I will defeat them on my own..."

It's so cliché ridden it's really hard to take it seriously at all, and yet I still really quite enjoy it.  Proper Saturday morning cartoons stuff indeed.

"Hold on just a damn minute. A minute ago we were in the ruins of a Mandalorian thing, now it suddenly looks like a not-ruined imperial base. Maybe we should stop running after those dudes for a second and figure out what the actual fuck."

Likewise, the super evil Machiavellian genius strategist baddie doesn't think to send some guys to cover the back door that Bo Katan is definitely going to think to cut through with the Darksaber to make her escape.

Still, if you're after realistic small unit infantry combat or sophisticated Game of Thrones style political intrigue you're in the wrong place with this show, and you already know that.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3901
    So the 'in the know' Mandos, who had been surviving on Mandalore and could lead them to the great forge, didn't know there was a big, f*ck off Imperial base there? Or did they...?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Lebarque said:
    So the 'in the know' Mandos, who had been surviving on Mandalore and could lead them to the great forge, didn't know there was a big, f*ck off Imperial base there? Or did they...?

They said that the people who had gone below ground hadn't come back.  That being the case, it's sort of reasonable to assume they didn't know there was a base there.

Moff's spaceship, and presumably a bunch of others must have been going to and fro though.  It's another of those things you don't want to think too closely about.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    TimmyO said:
    lol at:

No

No

No

No

No

No
    Classic toddler behaviour, Grogu is growing up.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 993
    TimmyO said:
    lol at:

No

No

No

No

No

No
    Classic toddler behaviour, Grogu is growing up.

yes

yes

yes

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6914
    These dudes seem to have a better concept of jet powered combat

https://youtu.be/DkZPI5m9SIE
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2795

Started watching New Hope and Empire .. because I ran out of series and can’t bring myself to watch cartoons.  

In NH Leia is pronounced Leeeya, and thereafter in the films / series as Laya
    Also in NH she appears to be English but American in ESB :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    sev112 said:

Started watching New Hope and Empire .. because I ran out of series and can’t bring myself to watch cartoons.  

In NH Leia is pronounced Leeeya, and thereafter in the films / series as Laya
    Also in NH she appears to be English but American in ESB :)

George was winging it in the first film. Yes he may well have had a 9, perhaps 12, film plan in mind but he couldn't have possibly known how phenomenally successful Star Wars would be. By itself it is a complete story. He certainly had high hopes so left a sequel optional by having Vader escape but it was only once Empire became a thing that the episode numbers came in and the original became Episode IV A New Hope.
    Empire has a different feel to A New Hope and it's all the better for it.

I'm with you on the cartoon thing, TO A DEGREE. I really didn't like the Clone Wars animation style at all and never got in to it, but since having Disney+ I've tried a couple of the animated series and The Bad Batch is brilliant with great storytelling and arc building for the entire franchise as well as some great animation. A couple of duff episodes but overall actually a great story.

I've started on Rebels now as a lead up to the Ahsoka series and it's looking good so far.

The 'cartoons' are a way of telling the expanded universe stories without the expense of cinema. They're not like the old Droids or Ewoks cartoons!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

english_bob said:
    Still, if you're after realistic small unit infantry combat or sophisticated Game of Thrones style political intrigue you're in the wrong place with this show, and you already know that.
    I guess you could argue that the absolute basic of small unit combat (move from cover to cover) the Mandalorians abandoned because of their usually blaster-proof beskar armour, and because nobody in the SW universe seems to use artillery.

Personally, I'd still be looking for cover, but I'm not a Mandalorian.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7546
    edited April 2023
    sinbaadi said:

"Hold on just a damn minute. A minute ago we were in the ruins of a Mandalorian thing, now it suddenly looks like a not-ruined imperial base. Maybe we should stop running after those dudes for a second and figure out what the actual fuck."

Likewise, the super evil Machiavellian genius strategist baddie doesn't think to send some guys to cover the back door that Bo Katan is definitely going to think to cut through with the Darksaber to make her escape.

Well, not quite. Whilst it was engineered for a ‘worthy death’ storyline, there is a sound tactical basis to a degree. 

Imagine a dozen infantry and a tank stumble in to 100 enemy infantry. The tank stands a fair chance of taking out many of the enemy before they can overwhelm its armour or work in close to do something sneaky. While that’s happening, lightly armoured infantry are at high risk. The outnumbered infantry should take cover or withdraw if safe to do so (it’s often not).
     It’s about the relative firepower, manoeuvring and protective characteristics of each element. 

In this one, once the ‘tank’ was controlling the engagement solo the imperials should have withdrawn and let the Special Forces fellas take over. (SF change the equation - they make decisions faster, manoeuvre better, and land more shots on target than normal units. 

Red ones are better. 
    edited April 2023
    TimmyO said:

Well, not quite. Whilst it was engineered for a ‘worthy death’ storyline, there is a sound tactical basis to a degree. 

The whole "last stand" battle didn't bother me, it was the way they found themselves in that situation in the first place.

They're attacked by an enemy force they weren't expecting, that shouldn't be there, and who appear to be partly impervious to their weapons. Despite knowing they're in a vulnerable state- no transport, no contact with their reserve force in orbit- and taking significant casualties, and despite having no real intelligence about the enemy or the area they're in, they take the "retreat" at face value and decide to pursue.

When the pursuit leads in to an area that looks distinctly like an Imperial base they weren't expecting to find, nobody suggests that they stop chasing and reassess. They're captured because they ran right in to a trap.

Then it turns out that the evil strategic genius who definitely engineered the whole thing as a way to trap the Mando gang forgot that the thing he trapped them to get (the Darksaber) can cut through the doors he trapped them behind, and forgot to send any of his jetpack monkeys to guard the back door that in his Machiavellian genius he failed to anticipate they'd cut through to escape. Sigh. 

Having got themselves in to that situation it was fairly logical that they leave the one guy with the massive firepower to cover their retreat, but getting themselves in to that situation in the first place involved a lot of stupid decisions.

TimmyO said:

The whole "last stand" battle didn't bother me, it was the way they found themselves in that situation in the first place.

They're attacked by an enemy force they weren't expecting, that shouldn't be there, and who appear to be partly impervious to their weapons. Despite knowing they're in a vulnerable state- no transport, no contact with their reserve force in orbit- and taking significant casualties, and despite having no real intelligence about the enemy or the area they're in, they take the "retreat" at face value and decide to pursue.

When the pursuit leads in to an area that looks distinctly like an Imperial base they weren't expecting to find, nobody suggests that they stop chasing and reassess. They're captured because they ran right in to a trap.

Then it turns out that the evil strategic genius who definitely engineered the whole thing as a way to trap the Mando gang forgot that the thing he trapped them to get (the Darksaber) can cut through the doors he trapped them behind, and forgot to send any of his jetpack monkeys to guard the back door that in his Machiavellian genius he failed to anticipate they'd cut through to escape. Sigh. 

Having got themselves in to that situation it was fairly logical that they leave the one guy with the massive firepower to cover their retreat, but getting themselves in to that situation in the first place involved a lot of stupid decisions.

Still, in terms of people making pathologically stupid decisions leading to horrible death, real life has TV thoroughly beaten...

Charge of the Light Brigade
    The French at Trafalgar
    The whole American civil war
    Dieppe - specifically, always a horrible idea at every level...

We always forget just how often in real life total fucking idiots get put in charge of mens lives.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    I suppose also the stress and pressure making people make poor decisions as humans are quite bad at real time decision making under heavy pressure as in that sequence.

Of course, if you are elite Mandalorians you are probably quite cocksure and arrogant and would just walk straight into traps like that.