The Mandalorian

What's Hot

Comments

• Let's hope the kick ass Alderanian woman is in the next series. She is rather lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    It's a step towards a more serious Star Wars but still they can't make the battles look like battles or the flight battles feel at all convincing.  It all looks very Star Wars, but will it forever be a parody of itself?  Just hole after hole in so much of it.  I really think that if it wasn't in the Star Wars universe with characters we know, this would be little more than a blip.

I've enjoyed it, generally, but it's far from brilliant.

• But if Ashoka is dealing with Thrawn, Mando with Gideon, Cara with whatever she finds on the rim etc - the First Order becomes just one resurgent arm of the Empire. turning out to be the best decoy Palpy has for his REAL attempt to rebuild the Empire.

No reason anyone needs to be dead to not be in the Resistance, it's possible they are all still out there fighting whichever fight they happen to be in.
    Yeah, there is - when you've got Palpatine on the rise again, you don't leave your biggest guns (probably Grogu and Ahsoka, by that point) out of the fight. Unless, of course, the Rebels are even more incompetent than they're shown to be in the sequel films.

Meanwhile, there's already an in-canon way to alter timelines, involving Ahsoka, and Palpatine knows about it too, and Filoni's work created it...plus, there's less to be so scared of about invoking the time-travel element now that the MCU has made it mainstream.

I'm not saying it'll definitely happen, but it's a definite possibility at this point.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    I think they’ll need to address the blood they used in the next season. Snoke appeared in season 2, episode 4 (I think) so it makes sense that they’re using Grogu’s blood to try and artificially create a force sensitive being. It could be him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451

Yeah, there is - when you've got Palpatine on the rise again, you don't leave your biggest guns (probably Grogu and Ahsoka, by that point) out of the fight. Unless, of course, the Rebels are even more incompetent than they're shown to be in the sequel films.

Grogu may only be the equivalent of an adolescent by then.  Yoda was 900 years old in ROTJ.  Grogu is 50 and he's mostly helpless in the Mandalorian.  The Force Awakens must be set around 30 years after the Mandalorian.  Grogu might not be adult by that stage.

Ahsoka, on the other hand, might be quite geriatric by then.  The Mandalorian has to be around 35 years after the Clone Wars.  Add another 30 years to that and she could be quite old, depending on how long lived her race is.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26604
    edited December 2020
    crunchman said:

Grogu may only be the equivalent of an adolescent by then.  Yoda was 900 years old in ROTJ.  Grogu is 50 and he's mostly helpless in the Mandalorian.  The Force Awakens must be set around 30 years after the Mandalorian.  Grogu might not be adult by that stage.

Ahsoka, on the other hand, might be quite geriatric by then.  The Mandalorian has to be around 35 years after the Clone Wars.  Add another 30 years to that and she could be quite old, depending on how long lived her race is.

Yes.

Anakin was kicking ass in his teens (and he was a late starter), and Ahsoka was commanding troops earlier than that.

Conversely, Dooku and Palpatine were in their 80s by the time they died and still going toe-to-toe with the best.

The usual rules of age don't really apply to Force users.
    <space for hire>
  • God that last episode was so good.
  • Thought it was a disappointment.  Just action scenes strung togetherretare slowly and a rather poor Deep Fake of Skywalker (only movng lips?).

Maybe it's a big payoff for those who've filled in their census return as "Jedi", but for a casual viewer it was way weaker than the excellent remainder of the two series - which has really been a modern Clint Eastwood western (not a Sci-Fi-Soap)!
  • Thought it was a disappointment.  Just action scenes strung togetherretare slowly and a rather poor Deep Fake of Skywalker (only movng lips?).

Maybe it's a big payoff for those who've filled in their census return as "Jedi", but for a casual viewer it was way weaker than the excellent remainder of the two series - which has really been a modern Clint Eastwood western (not a Sci-Fi-Soap)!
    I’ve generally enjoyed it but found the finale a bit disappointing, presumably there are viewers who wouldn’t even know who Skywalker and it was just lots of false jeopardy and CGI shoot ups. 

tekbow said:
    tekbow said:
    I doubt we're ever going to get a live-action Mara Jade though. I don't think she fits into the timeline anymore. 

Well.. I'm not 100%, but I beginning to buy the rumour that the sequels are about to be ditched from canon.
    Much as I hate TROS I have no idea how they could do that. 

Because as @digitalscream points out, there's no way to explain why at least some of these characters aren't around past killing them all.

And at this stage, that'll go down even less well than the sequels.

Kathleen Kennedy has taken a back seat over at Lucas film.

According to rumour, she has no influence Over Filoni and Favreau. I'd buy that as being accurate because to be quite honest, it shows.
    I know bugger all about the workings of Lucas Films but I had heard Kennedy on the radio this week ( working in a bubble on the next Jurassic Park fillum) and I got the impression she saw The Mandalorian as her baby to a large extent. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11770

But if Ashoka is dealing with Thrawn, Mando with Gideon, Cara with whatever she finds on the rim etc - the First Order becomes just one resurgent arm of the Empire. turning out to be the best decoy Palpy has for his REAL attempt to rebuild the Empire.

No reason anyone needs to be dead to not be in the Resistance, it's possible they are all still out there fighting whichever fight they happen to be in.
    Yeah, there is - when you've got Palpatine on the rise again, you don't leave your biggest guns (probably Grogu and Ahsoka, by that point) out of the fight. 
    Thats sort of my point, they weren't out of the fight but fighting a different part of it somewhere else.

A bit like Tolkien explaining why the elves, dwarves and ends didn't show up to the Pelennor Fields, they were fighting massive battles of their own concurrently.

There seems to be an odd short lead time on the First Order, the Republic is still not moving against them as of force awakens, then loses its fleet in that film, then only about 12 months happens after that before Palpys attempted comeback in ROS.

What is great about Mando is while providing great fan service it also opens the universe up to a lot more stories, really becoming an extended universe much broader than just the empire or the first order.

Maybe they will even do the Yuhzan Vong?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400

I that would be amazing, but I doubt it - way too dark for Disney!
  • FarleyUK said:

I that would be amazing, but I doubt it - way too dark for Disney!
    I hope not, that’s when the EU really started taking a downwards turn imo, I lost track of it all about half-way through that series and still haven’t gotten around to catching up :(
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited December 2020
    Thought it was a disappointment.  Just action scenes strung togetherretare slowly and a rather poor Deep Fake of Skywalker (only movng lips?).

I’ve generally enjoyed it but found the finale a bit disappointing, presumably there are viewers who wouldn’t even know who Skywalker and it was just lots of false jeopardy and CGI shoot ups. 

tekbow said:
    tekbow said:
    I doubt we're ever going to get a live-action Mara Jade though. I don't think she fits into the timeline anymore. 

Well.. I'm not 100%, but I beginning to buy the rumour that the sequels are about to be ditched from canon.
    Much as I hate TROS I have no idea how they could do that. 

Because as @digitalscream points out, there's no way to explain why at least some of these characters aren't around past killing them all.

And at this stage, that'll go down even less well than the sequels.

Kathleen Kennedy has taken a back seat over at Lucas film.

According to rumour, she has no influence Over Filoni and Favreau. I'd buy that as being accurate because to be quite honest, it shows.
    I know bugger all about the workings of Lucas Films but I had heard Kennedy on the radio this week ( working in a bubble on the next Jurassic Park fillum) and I got the impression she saw The Mandalorian as her baby to a large extent. 

We'll See next year as her contract is up sometime In 2021.

But in short, her efforts tended to piss off a large section of the fanbase, and Filoni/Favreau's efforts have by and large been gotten behind by the entire fanbase.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24291

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hang on a bloody minute.

It's no secret that Mark Hamill is seriously unhappy with what the sequel trilogy did to Luke's character. He's also known for being quite clever in his insults, and for influencing his dialogue when voice acting. So, when Luke says, "Talent without training is nothing"...do you suppose he was subtly throwing shade at the sequel trilogy?

I really hope so, because...that's awesome :D

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    So, spent the last 3 weeks playing catch-up while successfully avoiding all spoilers, including this thread! 
    That was some of the best TV I’ve seen since forever. It made me feel like I did when I was 7 watching the original. Absolutely loved how they slowly added in the old history over the whole 2 seasons. It’s only this and the Marvel films that have got the whole family watching anything together.  My daughter actually screamed with happiness at the final surprise.
    Absolutely brilliant. 
    Absolutely destroys the shite that was Ep789. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @DiscoStu - I may make a LOLWisWow reaction for that.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited December 2020
    @DiscoStu - I may make a LOLWisWow reaction for that.
    I am torn, I don’t know which to give him. Do it!

Edit: Please... where are my manners!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom