CONGRATULATIONS! BCD is now gone.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Call it ‘back door’ and leave them to it....  ?
    Only if you opt into BCD and it means you don't see and cannot post in other areas of the forum and the rest of the membership can't see BCD- basically like it is with the Trolls subforum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Call it ‘back door’ and leave them to it....  ?
    I hardly think they need any more encouragement
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7338
    Please could you make another hidden sub section that's only for people to discuss serious things they don't want on Google? You could put a sticky in there saying its not BCD and anything stupid is a ban.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    From off cuff memory, serious health issue support, bereavement, homelessness, parenting and relationship issues were very often well addressed and oftentimes above and beyond. Donations put people back on their feet and I think BCD in some ways is what really differentiates this forum from other online communities. A real shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Following the last changes BCD came back on my Home Page on here. I even wrote something in it but mostly not for me and the impression is of quite a small group of people who routinely posted on there who might be better off having a WhatsApp group to chat about anal sex and farts. 

Shame that people have wasted modmin time as the forum runs on their goodwill.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    The sh#t that boils your p1ss thread was my main dumping ground for the day to day crud.  Guess it's back to the glue...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Devil#20 said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what did BCD stand for. 
    Bunch of Cunts & Dickheads
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20 said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Excuse my ignorance but what did BCD stand for. 
    Behind Closed Doors
    Ah OK. But  don't get rid of "The best fart you have ever done" thread. That deserves a forum section in its own right. I have literally wet myself with some of those posts. No, politics, race or religious humour there. Just extremely funny accounts of real life situations. 
    That was my main concern,best thread ever 
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    From off cuff memory, serious health issue support, bereavement, homelessness, parenting and relationship issues were very often well addressed and oftentimes above and beyond. Donations put people back on their feet and I think BCD in some ways is what really differentiates this forum from other online communities. A real shame.
    I agree entirely. These aspects of BCD were things that added to the sense of community. Would it be possible to keep a sub-section of the forum for such issues that is only  visible to members but is moderated?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    IMO, BCD is like an appendix. Not essential to human existence but nice to know it’s there, just in case somebody ever discovers its true function.

This community is there, at both its very best and its very worst. (Some times, all in the same Discussion.)

I suspect that COVID Confinement has bred cabin fever, driving some forumites to greater extremes than they usually might go. There has also been a spate of sock puppetry and banned users reregistering to stir things.

The current situation is akin to treating an ingrowing toenail by amputation above the knee.

Lurking in Help & Feedback is a thread, documenting and explaining suspensions, bans and account closures. Amongst the reasons given for punitive measures is “accusing the Modmins of behaving like Nazis.”

I hear my train a-comin’.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The modmins are all cool and reasonable people, even @Emp_Fab was when he was a mod. They give a large amount of latitude. It's something I've always appreciated over the years, and probably benefited from as much as anyone!

Poking the bear isn't cricket though really.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713

Lurking in Help & Feedback is a thread, documenting and explaining suspensions, bans and account closures. Amongst the reasons given for punitive measures is “accusing the Modmins of behaving like Nazis.”
    That wasn’t a reason. It was an observation on the attitude the moderators see from people who refuse to obey the Classified rules:
    1. I’m an important member of this forum
    2. This forum’s shit 
    3. and the mods are power crazed Nazis.

The gentleman in question wasn’t banned, he flounced. @Bridgehouse simply closed the door after he failed to slam it properly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Shame, but understandable.

Silver lining: this thread reminded me I hadn't got around to making my "friend of tFB" donation.  Thanks to everyone - modmins in particular - who work so hard to keep this place going.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/186340/friend-of-the-fretboard-donations
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    A sad but understandable development

May I suggest everybody play nice for a while and we can see where we are when the dust settles?

I really enjoyed some BCD threads and don't want to see it gone forever
    All practice and no theory
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24324
    There were some good threads, and a load of tosh.

Perhaps the answer is that any attempt to post in the BCD would be subject to approval?
    Mind you then I suppose posters would just put it in OT and damn the consequences. Just can't trust people!

I was a member of a science forum that actually had a Thunderdome section. The only moderation was to delete threads with criminal acts or for encouraging them. 

USA forum though so libel risks were very different to the UK.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I’m more offended than the absolute shite in the Politics section than anything in BCD. Ah well it’s not like I visited much anyway.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Rather than get rid of BCD... can’t we just get rid of the toxic idiots that ruined it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22915

I'm not sure what I think.  I've always been a lot more interested in Off Topic than I was I BCD, but I think it did serve a purpose.  Feels like there's a bit of a void now, the "topics that can not be named".

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12380
    poopot said:
    Rather than get rid of BCD... can’t we just get rid of the toxic idiots that ruined it?

I’m absolutely with you on that. I didn’t see the thread that got BCD vapourised but it must’ve been completely puerile if the anal sex one was allowed to run again after some discussion among the mods. I’d consider myself very broad minded but there’s still things I don’t want to see on what’s allegedly a guitar forum. If you want to talk about stuff like that there’s plenty of other places where frankly nobody cares. 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1021
     said:
    DO WE GET TO KEEP THE FRETS WE GAINED IN THERE?!?!
    Why is there a special prize for getting the most frets? 
    “Ken sent me.”