Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

[Football] Spurs, Manager

What's Hot

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    Confirmed on the Spurs site. 3 coaches coming with him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14259
    tFB Trader
    Suffolk coach school contracts trips clubs and societies special  occasions corporate events theatre travel nights out luxury airport  travel  wedding transport hire - Grebe Coaches
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14259
    tFB Trader
    Good move for Spurs - Son signs a new 4 year contract - A positive move from Spurs considering you don't know if 'Arry will be still there or not - A good asset and I'm sure a few other top clubs would have benefited from such a signing if he'd left Spurs 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I don't know why the big name managers haven't been knocking Levy's door down tbh 

The year ends in 1, so they're basically entitled to silverware as far as I can tell. ;) 

As a palace fan, I was worried a few weeks ago, but Vieira has settled in, and a few good signings have followed. I'm quite keen on his football ethos too. We've got some great attacking players but have been very defensive the last few seasons. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    The year ends in 1, so they're basically entitled to silverware as far as I can tell. ;) 

Yeah, but the season ends in 2. :)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Philly_Q said:

Being Spurs, I deeply suspect the season will end the first weekend of January ;) 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Philly_Q said:

Being Spurs, I deeply suspect the season will end the first weekend of January ;) 
    Ah, full of optimism
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11296
    Great news about Sonny, a fantastic player who has become possibly the best Asian footballer ever in the Premier League.

Hopefully this will be a strong chance incentive to potential signings. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27507
    scrumhalf said:
    Great news about Sonny, a fantastic player who has become possibly the best Asian footballer ever in the Premier League.

Hopefully this will be a strong chance incentive to potential signings. 
    Indeed - if both he & Kane were to leave - that would have been ouchy.

I've been watching the pre-season friendlies, and my worry about signings coming in is that we seem to have some pretty good young players coming through.  Always a risk throwing them in at 17/18/19 with no experience ... but the only way to get experience is to play matches.

Paskotsi  has been the star of the matches to date for me.  Handy that he plays RB / RCB (bye bye Aurier).    Tanganga just needs to stay fit, and there's the LCB slot sorted.    Despite all the hype and expectation around Parrott a couple of years ago, Scarlett looks to be a better player at the moment, but between those two, we should have the forward line sorted.    Devine plays like he's 27, not 17.  Definite star to happen there.  Skipp we know about from last season.

That's half-a-team, before thinking about some of the others who'd get into many championship teams at 17/18yo.

Spurs just don't seem to spend big money well - most recently, Ndombele, Lo Celso, and the Vinicius loan-first deal avoided another expensive mistake -  so I'd be happier to see our "own" youth players come through, rather than betting on some more expensive signings.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9538
    I did tell you… ;)
    I did tell you…

Has it been made clear that his backroom team are joining too? This seemed to be a stumbling block at other clubs, so I am interested to know whether Levy has taken them on or not.
    It is my understanding he wouldn’t move without them ;)

@Wazmeister ;;

When Nuno left Wolves, 6 of his coaching staff also left;
    Rui Pedro Silva (assistant)
    Ian Cathro (first-team coach)
    Julio Figueroa (first-team coach)
    Rui Barbosa (goalkeeper coach)
    Antonio Dias (fitness coach)
    Joao Lapa (rehab coach)

Only half of them (in bold) joined Spurs with him, which isn't an unusual situation.  

For the club, I guess that the concept of manager-plus-coaching-team increases the disruption when a manager leaves, in that a chunk of the club's staff also leave.  But, for the manager, they'll obviously want a team around them that they know they can work with, people who understand their specific approach, etc.

But so far, what you said about him building a positive culture (etc) seem to be spot on.  From the interviews I've watched / read, he seems to be pretty much the anti-Mourinho.  Which can only be a good thing for players and fans.
    :+1:
    Looks like Toby is on his way. He and Jan were immense at the back in their day.

Sad to see him go, I wish him all the best. 

I pray we don't end up with Dier and Sanchez as first-choice centre backs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Looks like Toby is on his way. He and Jan were immense at the back in their day.

We arguably lost our second-best CB when Jan left last year.

I'd say we're now losing our best CB.

Considering that they both played for Belgium in the Euros, I don't understand why letting either of them leave was/is a good idea.

Dier?  LOLz
    Sanchez?  Hmmmm, not really.
    Rodon?  Hopefully, but not yet.
    Tanganga?  Probably, but not yet.

If Toby goes, we're losing a great defender, and a great distributor of the ball from the back.
    :(
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    I know this isn't cast iron, but knowing how Levy works i imagine it's true:

This is what I was alluding to. It seemed like a team of 6 coaches was a problem for the other clubs he'd spoken to, and I'd have been amazed if Levy swallowed that too, hence only the 3 central ones. Chairmen seem to be getting tired of paying off these guys, which is understandable.
  • I'm genuinely stunned as a Palace fan after today, but the thing that stood out is Nuno doesn't seem to have a plan B. 

I expected our new players to come good at some point, but they were well on top, against the league leaders, from the first whistle. 

Kane looks like he's on strike, and Son missing is clearly the bigger problem. 

Son & Kane work really well together.  Neither works anywhere near as well without the other.

Slightly concerning for me is that we seem to have lost Dier (injury) and Tanganga (red card) for the next few matches.    Romero hasn't really started playing yet, and is currently in Croatia on his way back from playing for Argentina.  Which doesn't leave many centre backs ...

But with the players available in the squad, I would have hoped that any manager would have a PlanB, a PlanC, a PlanD, and then - just in case, say, we lose 2CBs in a game, a PlanE too.
    :(

We were bloody awful today, there was no spark and we were a yard slower then Palace.

But we weren't the best club in the world before the game and we're not the worst club in the world after it. Like all teams apart from City, Utd and Chelski we suffer if you take half the of first team, out.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    You need to get Ted Lasso in as head coach
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I know he only had 10 minutes but Palace fans will think Edouard was a snip at £14m.
  • Another Palace fan here and still can’t quite believe what I saw against a side that for the past few seasons we would have just sat back against and said ‘score if you can cos we won’t’.
    Even without Son I find it hard to believe Nuno can’t get a tune out of Kane . A good time to play Spurs for us